Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Have you ever had a moment where DF just trolls you?  (Read 3242 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever had a moment where DF just trolls you?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:34:45 am »

I'm setting up a line of cage traps to capture giant eagles and stuff.

Right before they're loaded, giant desert scorps arrive.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »

Elves keep attacking my riding giant war pandas.

Its a never ending stream of giant war panda roasts and elf tallow roasts. My kitchens are overflowing. I have some 10,000 meat and 10,000 roasts already made. :(

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »

I was once walling off the first cavern layer. Monsters spawned at the map edge I was trying to build walls on CONSTANTLY - if it wasn't troglodytes, it was crundles, if it wasn't THAT, it was dralthas. What was worse is that sometimes they spawned on TOP of the walls, meaning my millitary couldn't reach them and I had to send in my squad of three severely retarded crossbow dorfs.

And don't you know it, corpses up there spread miasma...thus I couldn't see what the eff was going on with the walls anymore and had to wait until the corpses rotted into skeletons.

Then when that was done, and I swear this is true, a FORGOTTEN BEAST spawned at that map edge, killing my carpenters, most of my millitary, and a few haulers for good measure.

/ragequit

If you capture or kill the last of a certain kind of layer's creature, the next one spawns.

This happens on the surface (kill or capture the last of the badgers, and the next wave of wildlife appear), in the caverns, and even in the HFS, if you are trying to wall out and pave the HFS.

In order to completely wall in an area like that, you have to first find a way to trap some "wild" versions of those creatures so that they aren't caged, aren't dead, and still actively pathing around.  Using drawbridges helps, so that you can basically just put them in a big box and then seal that box off without actually directly confronting them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 06:31:35 pm »

Nothing like completing a comprehensive patrol around the outside of the fort to make sure there are no ambushes and then having one pop up right when the human law giver decides to take off after his "meeting"...needless to say, the lawgiver is dead and we're going to take the blame.  It'll be siege time next year...

Similarly with civilians working outdoors, although it taught me a naked legendary miner armed with only a copper pick can incapacitate a goblin lasher enough to get away.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 [2]