Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to grasp somewhat impaired:Ability to kick ass A-ok!  (Read 1172 times)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ability to grasp somewhat impaired:Ability to kick ass A-ok!
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »

So I picked a terrifying/untamed wilds embark, and brought along a couple of teacher dwarfs to start my military.  As soon as I unpause, a pair of harpies attack.  2 unarmed, unarmored dwarfs and 5 dogs made slow work of the harpies, and the non-commander got a vicious red wound on the upper arm, with sensory and motor nerve damage.  Quickly built a hospital (a bed in the middle of the hall, and no medical skills), and Urist McWounded was nowhere to be found.  Zoom to him, and he's chopping down trees while faint and unhappy (blood loss, no weapon skill, no civilian skill, so he's "complained about the draft", "complained about relieved from duty", and "suffered a serious injury" with no happy thoughts to balance it).  His wound eventually healed, leaving a "large, jagged scar".  He still has nerve damage, though, and his "ability to grasp is somewhat impaired".  This hasn't stopped him from being the first to charge into a fight, and he hasn't had any trouble since that first battle.

When summer rolled around, Urist McOnlyAFleshWound had killed a total of 6 harpies and 2 ogres, with no additional wounds.  Unfortunately he was a little slow chasing the badgers, so the militia commander got all eight of them.  We've gone from no weapons/armor to a mix of bronze and bone armor, and +bronze battle axes+.  As soon as the magma forges are online, we'll upgrade to steel, and mix in 6-8 migrants who have dabbling or better military skills.  I think they'll go well with the Stray Giant Badgers guarding the entrances from thieves.  ;D

Looking forward to fighting goblins, whenever they get off their lazy butts and decide to start ambushing (currently Autumn of year 2).

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to grasp somewhat impaired:Ability to kick ass A-ok!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:50:54 pm »

The trick is to drop your weapon onto the enemy.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »

Most of my swordmasters have either "ability to grasp somewhat impaired" or are missing one hand entirely (which gives the same message).

It's almost like a mark of veterancy in DF.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:28 pm »

Well, usually I'm a builder, not a fighter.  I've been working on training without a danger room, and it seems to be going well so far.  I just need moar magma!

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:10:00 pm »

Before I lost my last fort I can say, with sheer honesty, that my dwarves who were missing SOME kind of limb were my best fighters compared to my perfectly healthy ones.  Hell, my best fighter was a one armed, one eyed female axe dwarf who had about 20 notable kills or so in her name, with a +Bronze battle axe+ she got from a goblin no less, by the time my fort succumbed. It's like when a dwarf loses a limb his Bad-Assness becomes Legendary+5.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:19:17 pm »

Dwarves can actually do pretty well with both a leg and an arm missing. For example:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82061.0

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 03:28:49 am »

hmm, This gives me the mental image of an armless dwarf, with one leg, holding a scimitar in his teeth, doing a quick spin and launching the sword to sqewer about seven goblins before stopping...

Seems about right to me at least.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?