Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oracle gives up on OpenOffice  (Read 890 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Oracle gives up on OpenOffice
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:13:34 am »

I had heard there was bad blood and defections. Not totally unexpected.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:50 am »

I knew there was defections and LibreOffice, but the last time this was in the news it seemed Oracle was determined to sell some version of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:01:21 pm »

At any rate, I guess OO ist kaputt. I have downloaded libreoffice to give it a try, see how is it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:01:43 pm »

Good riddance, the more taken out of Oracle's grasp the better. viva LibraOffice

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »

So far so good. I've not noticed many improvements or (conversely) unstability, but then again I've not made use of any particularily advanced feature yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:28 pm »

Recently I was made aware of the whole LO fork, and tried the LO alongside OO.  Basically the same, obviously, as it's too soon to see any significant forking of development decisions.

Those who have already forked off (huhuhuhuh![/beavisandbutthead]) aren't going to be directly affected.  Those who were thinking of jumping from OO to LO because of Oracle now may decide either way, if together with those who were still happy to be working on OO there's enough people to keep an Oracle-less OO version.

But I'm not privvy to the innermost politics (and practicalities) of the situation, so maybe OO is totally doomed.  Still, as LO==OO (and instead of the next version of OO, the next version of LO would be just as improved/enhanced/different), as an end-user I'll probably go where the wind blows, or stick around if it doesn't (or even blows back).