Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 30 points left at embark  (Read 567 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
30 points left at embark
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:05:43 pm »

I have 30 points left at embark. What should I take?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 30 points left at embark
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »

Depends on what you've got already, what you're going for in the longer term, and what sorts of things are at your site. More food and/or booze is never a bad choice, though.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:15:57 pm »

I want to try and get a good millitary. I've already got enough food and booze. An anvil and like 2 copper picks.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »

Well then, if you've got an anvil, carry a malachite (or native copper), cassiterite, and 3 extra wood for another 21 points, and turn those things into 2 extra bronze items! Then spend your last 9 points on other useful things, like more extra wood. Or more food and booze; you can't possibly have enough food and booze on embark. It's like dakka - never enuff dakka, never enuff food and booze.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:09 pm »

I was gonna suggest ditching the picks and taking ore instead, too. This way, you can make a couple of picks yourself, and a few weapons so your soldiers can warm up on the wildlife before migrants arrive and you start putting them into squads, so that they've got some combat skills to teach the newbies. Unless you're just going to use danger rooms, they need to have some sort of experience.

If you just want something to spend 30 points on, though, I suggest a turkey gobbler and five hens. They're a great source eggs for food, and if you left them breed, you can stuff them in a cage and release them as chaff to distract goblins while you put your dorfs in position.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:55:29 pm »

Some things you may want and can afford:

-Cheap animals, like poultry (turkeys seem to yield more meat to inexperienced butchers, in case you need an emergency food source, but with all those eggs seems unlikely), cats, or almost a couple of dogs if you can spare 2 points from anywhere
-10 logs of wood if you're embarking in an area that could use some
-Metal ores (3 tetrahedrite/ 5 copper nuggets or malachite/ 2 cassiterite + 2 copper-bearing ore)
-5 flux stones
-10 bituminous coal
-30 milk barrels (cheap source of food and barrels)
-30 sand bags (again, cheap source of bags, besides sand itself)
-10 gypsum plaster
-6 yarn or cave spider silk thread if you think that for any reason you may need ropes asap, but seems like a waste with pig tails growing the next season, or shearable animals you may already have
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:00:03 am by Kard »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:03 pm »

I usually take some leather for quick shields, quivers, armor, and bags. You can never have too many bags.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:45 pm »

You can never have too many bags.

I beg to differ, these damn bags are clogging up my workshops. I'm at the point where I'm scrolling over the workshop every five minutes dumping the bags, I'm contemplating atom-smashing them.

Bring some dogs, you can never have enough dogs. You can train them to help your military, kill them for food and bolts/crafts, or chain them around the outside of your fortress to serve as arrow catchers.

Or sand. it's 1 point and you can bring red sand and dump it into a river. Makes the river prettier and frees the bags for use.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 01:35:46 am »

Oooh, dumping red sand into a river would be awesome.

I think I'm going to start a new fort and bring 1000 bags.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.