Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood turning the ground into clay?  (Read 1277 times)

Endymion107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood turning the ground into clay?
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »

Anyone else notice this? Ive been playing this one fort that is partly above ground for maybe 10+ years, so the ground has constantly been stained with blood (I killed a forgotten beast once with 80 war animals and a miner, it took a long while, and the blood was still covering everyone and everything 5 years later until i ran dfcleanmap). and it seems after awhile the ground turns into clay, which is red.

This is after a decent sized ambush, I took the pictures because of the huge amounts of blood/parts scattered everywhere, i thought I had a backup save i could load to and compare with, but I didnt, all I had was this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is now, maybe a year after, I ran dfcleanup right before taking this, so some of the red squares will be missing, those were probably blood but im not 100% sure.

I also noticed in the 2nd picture there's a decent amount of clay in the corner of the fort, where I dont think any blood was spilled, so is this something else?

I also took a picture of ground outside that fort that has had almost zero combat, and then one of the middle of my fort (the meeting area for all the animals covered in the blood of the forgotten beast, and a few thieves.)

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood turning the ground into clay?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »

When people/animals/beasts/whatever walk over grassy surfaces, sometimes some of that grass dies. If you get enough thingies walking over a certain area, all the grass in that area dies. The reason the grass died (revealing your first soil layer of clay) on the battlefield is that the combatants walked allover it while fighting. It will regrow if you leave it alone long enough, though.

Endymion107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »

o. that explains it a bit. thanks, though its not as cool as the ground being stained forever by the 20 goblins who bled out on it

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:06:54 pm »

No, no its not. Though, you can turn off weather, leave the corpses out, and watch as invaders charge up your blood soaked mountain of rotting dead to engage your dwarven killing machine, also known as a well maintained army.

Endymion107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:12:20 pm »

hmm. I think I might do that. I was a bit disappointed when the work of art that was that brook started to fade away, so turning off weather makes it so blood doesnt fade?

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 03:31:35 pm »

Rain cleans blood, so yeah. Rain also cleans your dwarfs and refills murky pools so be aware!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:01:56 pm »

Alternatively, you can go up to the top level and build a floor over the area of the brook and anywhere else you want the blood kept. The floor will keep the cleaning rain off.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:52:59 pm »

Wouldn't it be cool if Water+Blood created Bloodmud, and crops grew better in it?

It doesn't, and they won't, and honestly I think it would be a bad thing to implement cause we'd get people making blood sacrifices to the mushroom god of...

Excuse me, I need to go to the suggestions forum ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »

Wouldn't it be cool if Water+Blood created Bloodmud, and crops grew better in it?

It doesn't, and they won't, and honestly I think it would be a bad thing to implement cause we'd get people making blood sacrifices to the mushroom god of...

Excuse me, I need to go to the suggestions forum ;)
BLOOD FOR THE MUSHROOM GOD!!!!
........nah, doesn't have the same ring to it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:33 pm »

"So, let me get this straight. You're brutally sacrificing captives to make your enslaved plump helmet men grow faster, so that you can brutally render them into alcohol."

"Ayep."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »

"So, let me get this straight. You're brutally sacrificing captives to make your enslaved plump helmet men grow faster, so that you can brutally render them into alcohol."

"Ayep."
Sounds like standard DF to me.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 10:20:11 am »

Then someone will mod the plump helmet men to bleed and create an endless cycle of blood-to-food-to-booze conversion.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 11:06:45 am »

Then someone will mod the plump helmet men to bleed and create an endless cycle of blood-to-food-to-booze conversion.
AND THEN THE RIVERS SHALL RUN RED WITH BOOZE!

OUR BEARDS WILL BLOCK OUT THE SUN!

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »

Methinks the only intelligent species to notice said sky of beards would be the gnomes. Everyone else would be surrounded by a bunch of bloody, drunk, and short people.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »

"Ayep."

Captives?  This feature demands that dwarves be slaughterable!

'sorry Urist McVirgin, the mushroom god needs appeasing.'

brb, ziggurat fortress incoming.