Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Points?  (Read 2202 times)

Tshiknn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Moron Next Door
    • View Profile
Embark Points?
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:28:42 pm »

Dwarf Fortress seems to be giving me random amounts of embark points.  I looked at the Dwarf Fortress wiki article for "Embark", and from what I could tell, it's supposed to give you 300 embark points, but mine seems like it's switching randomly between 70 points and 270 points, respectively.  Can anyone tell me what's going on?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Points?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:37:05 pm »

I bet you're switching between starting civs, one of which doesn't have access to iron. Thus, your starting anvil is the 300 point steel anvil (an alloy, so it's accessible to cultures without iron), instead of the 100 point iron anvil.

Tshiknn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Moron Next Door
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:42:47 pm »

Wow... I'll get started on that.  Thanks!  :D

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:08:27 am »

It is probably the anvil, it accounts for the variation of 200 points.

Total points is 1274 on a standard embark, so most of those points are being pre-spent (i'm guessing you are choosing "embark now" rather than "plan for the journey carefully") and some civs will get iron, some will get steel.

I recommend create a custom load-out and use the 's' save feature. Then, you will have all your favourite stuff whenever you embark by loading a profile. It will warn you if anything you ordered cannot be created, e.g. I had a world with no plump helmets once.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:11:35 am by Reelyanoob »

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:26:11 am »

Yes, use Tab to move to the items and start removing all those splints, crutches, pieces of cloth and other crap. You only need a pick and an anvil (or the equipment to make a pick, which is an anvil and a cheap metal nugget). You can also select from a wide variety of pets for the pet explosion of your fancy here.

All the points that you freed by removing all these clutter items from the list can be used to skill up your dwarves, if you think that you need that.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.