Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Toady One add existing mods to vanilla DF?

Yes, it would diversify the game.
No, it would be hard to credit the makers of the mods.
No, if you want the mods, you should find them yourself.
No, it is unnecesary.

Author Topic: Should Toady One include mods?  (Read 982 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Should Toady One include mods?
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »

There are a few little mods floating around that add neat little benefits to the game, such as the display case mod and the bonfire workshop mod. These already work fairly well and would not affect most gameplay much.

Should Toady One include such mods in vanilla DF? Why or why not? If so, what mods should be added?
EDIT: Huh, you can't select "yes" more than once. That didn't end up like I hoped it would. Ah, well. If you disagree, choose the two "no's" that you agree with most, and anyone reviewing the polls should keep the greater number of nos in mind.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:06:05 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Should Toady One include mods?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:07:48 pm »

Some mods, yes.

The ones that spring to mind immediately are the Realistic Stone Density and Gem Color mod, the Rock Grinder, and portions of Kobold Cave Clone.

Basically anything which adds greatly to the original feel of the game, or fills a huge gap in the game, should be considered for including into the game.

I THINK Toady already does this, too... at least in the case of more realistic values in the numerical portions of creatures/inorganics/plants.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:08:36 pm »

Personally, I would. But toady has said in the read me.

We do not accept submissions for the official Dwarf Fortress releases.  Please do not ask for your code, art, sound or raw/objects txt files to be incorporated into the official releases.

The guy wants to do it himself. So I respect that.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:11:17 pm »

But if you read the raw files, Toady does speak of "contributions" to the code base, in the form of more realistic variables in the inorganics.  He even attributes them to who gave these contributions to him.

Basically if it's a bugfix, theres a slim chance that it will be included.  If it's something new, no chance at all.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

I'm guessing that Toady would put in mods like the realistic density mod, to save him time for more coding. However, Toady wouldn't add in the display case mod, simply because it doesn't jive well enough with his vision for the game, or because he'll want to add it into the game later, hard-coding it in. Plus, it's not like he really plays Dwarf Fortress anymore, or has time to browse through the mod section of the forums (too busy working on the game) so he probably doesn't know much about some of these mods.

Also, you forgot the option of "Toady One does what he damn well pleases."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »

But if you read the raw files, Toady does speak of "contributions" to the code base, in the form of more realistic variables in the inorganics.  He even attributes them to who gave these contributions to him.

Basically if it's a bugfix, theres a slim chance that it will be included.  If it's something new, no chance at all.

These are the results of people coming to him with data and references to hard facts.  Toady puts in a lot of dummy values when he can't research things like the tensile strength of a certain material himself. 

If someone comes up with a reference to accurate information, he'll put the accurate information into the raws himself, and then leave a credit in there.  He just doesn't accept a raw, and put someone else's lines into his own raw.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 03:58:47 pm »

These are the results of people coming to him with data and references to hard facts.  Toady puts in a lot of dummy values when he can't research things like the tensile strength of a certain material himself. 

If someone comes up with a reference to accurate information, he'll put the accurate information into the raws himself, and then leave a credit in there.  He just doesn't accept a raw, and put someone else's lines into his own raw.

Facts about the real world aren't copyrightable in the US.

I can completely understand that Toady doesn't want to create any weird legal headaches for himself, though.  He could use copyright assignment forms, but that's a pain in the rear and it doesn't help if the people contributing infringed upon something.

Pretty much the only kind of raw he could safely copy is one like mine, and even then, maybe he won't.  I don't think I added anything that's subject to copyright (compilation of real world facts, with the format and arrangement dictated by compatibility concerns), except for a few comments that I abandoned the copyright on in writing.

But maybe I should just write up all those soil density values (undersea soils should be a lot more dense), the misc gem data (colors, densities for the last few not listed in the threat which are only in the raws), etc. so nobody has to worry about anything.  Oh, and I might have corrected one of the metal densities, too.  Or maybe I'm thinking of lignite/bituminous coal.

It's been so long, I forget just how much data I put in there.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:00 pm »

It's not about copyrights, he just doesn't like putting anything into the raws unless he is the one putting it into the raws. 

It has to do with knowing what is in the raws, because he's the one who put it there.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:27:33 pm »

I say no. Not only is it unneeded, but if you want the mods, stop being lazy and get them yourself.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:17:23 pm »

As a mod writer I would have to say no.

I would hate to have to wait on a new release because of a problem with making it support something I wrote, it would be embarrassing and the forum would go after me with pitchforks hehe.

Mods are the community's responsibility, and things like Lazy Newb Pack are the solution to packing mods.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"