Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My baron wants dwarf leather clothes.  (Read 6671 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My baron wants dwarf leather clothes.
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »

I keep getting my favorite puppet mayor replaced by the people. I generally catch this pretty fast, but not until after the damage is done.

"So-and-so and mandated an item."

I go and check...oh, good, aluminum crafts. That's fantastic, it's not like I never see aluminum anywhere or anything. Time to magma someone's face. And yes, I know I can replace them without killing them. It's the principle of the matter.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2011, 08:43:55 pm »

And this is why there shouldn't be material limitations for crafts and such.

Those dead dwarves are doing nothing with their bones or skin. Maybe have the game start with those items forbidden, but allow us to un-forbid for these exact circumstances. Maybe give an unhappy thought to the dwarfs that are near to, or enacting, the use of the item that's "unethical" as a trade-off.
Maybe ethics should be variable in individuals. After all, those with socially "off" ethics would be more likely to emigrate.

Urist McButcher: "Butcher a Dwarf?? No way"
Urist McTanner : "Tan Dwarf skin? Sorry, ask someone else."
Urist McLeatherWorker "'Make a Dwarf leather cloak?? ARMOK NO!"
Urist McMayor : "Hey, I know, lets uncage that 'migrant' Urist McHannibal"

(edit : really should have read all the thread before posting, i'm like 3rd-4th with this meme)

One way to do it might be try to create a fell mood in your Baron, by giving an underling his tomb and losing all his rooms, make him drink water and the worst possible food, and lock him in with the most useless or annoying dwarf in the fortress (in a room with the required workshops). Just hope he doesn't make a dwarf bone item instead.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:01:14 pm by Reelyanoob »

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »

Cheat? I think you can edit the raws to turn any leather you tan into dwarf leather.

In your save's reaction_other raw file, replace the product line of the reaction "Tan a Hide" with the following:

[PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:DWARF:LEATHER]

...Or something like that. Haven't tried it myself.

Then change it back when you're done. Seems only fair; dwarf leather is a pretty unfair thing to ask for. =P

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 01:08:09 am »

In our Paradox Community Fortress game last year, our Baroness (named after me!  :D ) liked Iron Bars. She even used to go down to the Magma forge and make them herself... fulfilling her own mandates.

You can't get much better than that.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]