Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Least destructive way to use magma in a volcano?  (Read 3185 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Least destructive way to use magma in a volcano?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 07:48:47 pm »

I love how a single discrepancy in the title has pretty much defined what the entire rest of this thread is/will be.

And that it didn't take more than one reply to point out the error.

I am proud of you all.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 08:21:31 pm »

Actually, the least destructive way would be to have every one of your dwarves jump into it right now, as a fortress with a volcano is inevitably destined to do at least one of the following three things:

1. Flood the fortress with magma.
2. Flood the world with magma, accidentally leave an opening into the fortress, flood the fortress with magma.
3. Build a giant dwarf/building/flagon that pisses/rains/pours magma, screw it up royally, cause a cave-in into your fortress, flood your fortress with magma.

I'm sure you've noticed the common theme by now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered mandwarfdatory.
Fixed for you.

And then I fixed it again.
Sigged!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »

I love how a single discrepancy in the title has pretty much defined what the entire rest of this thread is/will be.

And that it didn't take more than one reply to point out the error.

I am proud of you all.
>.>
I directed the magma to a holding chamber that I can use for smelting.
AND I can open it to burn the hippies :D

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:59 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered mandwarfdatory.
Fixed for you.

And then I fixed it again.
Sigged!
Circus Yeah!

I'm in three peoples sigs now :3

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 02:45:28 pm »

This is very dwarfy and all, but I believe the OP was asking how to get the magma out of the volcano without lighting the world on fire until he was ready to do so.

If that's the case, I generally tap the side by carving fortifications on the top level of a two story room. The carver stands on grates, so the magma flows down a z-level and into the magamworks and not directly onto the carver. Though the fortifications generally slow the magma down enough that the carver would have time to run away even if you didn't build a 2 story grated room.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 03:26:59 pm »

Least destructive? What does that mean? -Dwarven Confusion.-

It means you did it wrong! :P

This is very dwarfy and all, but I believe the OP was asking how to get the magma out of the volcano without lighting the world on fire until he was ready to do so.

If that's the case, I generally tap the side by carving fortifications on the top level of a two story room. The carver stands on grates, so the magma flows down a z-level and into the magamworks and not directly onto the carver. Though the fortifications generally slow the magma down enough that the carver would have time to run away even if you didn't build a 2 story grated room.

2 things:
  1) Make sure the grates are magma safe.  Check the wiki if you need to.  Orthoclase, alunite, and dolomite are all magma safe.  Granite isn't (trust me on this one :-[).
  2) Make sure all entrances to the forge area are at least 1 z-level above the magma resevoir, and any lower entrances have been completely blocked off.  Otherwise you'll end up with uncontrolled magma flooding your fort, which is a bad thing.  As opposed to controlled magma flooding, which is always a good thing.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »

I imagined a Muppet-like skit where a dwarf attempts to route magma in a calm and orderly fashion, but quickly loses patience and goes berserk, setting fire to the landscape.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Safest way to use magma in a volcano?
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 04:43:42 pm »

You said "safe" and "magma" in the same sentence.

Forget it.

Be fair, he could have been talking about bauxite.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 05:13:33 pm »

The entrance of your fortress should be an entryway past a thick wall of magmafall. You should be able to divert the magmafall with a pull of a lever to reveal the entrance. No one can go beyond the magmafall without your say so.

Unless it's a dragon or some such.

Another very practical use for magma I found is a waste disposal unit. Who cares about all those rotting goblin corpses, throw them all in the incinerator!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »

Safest way to tap into a tube from the side is to give the magma somewhere to go that isn't over your miner's foot.

Code: [Select]
777###
77####
7#@++#
##+++#
##++X#
######

Dig out the @ square last. Assuming the miner leaves the area after digging it out, the magma will spread to the sides as much as it spreads towards where the miner was digging from. Then eventually it falls down the stairs and into your plumbing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »

Actually, the safest way to tap a magma tube is to build your forges at the top of the rim :P (assuming you seal the area off, preventing them from being killed by hostiles.

But second to that, and the only way to really eliminate dwarven stupidity, is to carve fortifications into it with the engraver standing on an upwards stairway that leads him back to the fort, and the magma channel having no other exit but up those stairs. I've only lost one dwarf this way, and that was entirely my own fault.
As soon as they're done, they'll walk up the stairs and go on about their duties/party/be infected by forgotten beast extract and explode in gore 5 years down the road/give birth and leave the baby in the magma, instantly going berserk/walk back into the magma because you deactivated their mining labor while they were working and they dropped the pick on the bottom of the stairs, and want to carry it to the stockpile.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]