Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambush and retrieve fallen dwarf behavior?  (Read 457 times)

Dragonfel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ambush and retrieve fallen dwarf behavior?
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:54:11 pm »

Hey guys, I've had 3-4 ambushes in my new fort since yesterday and I'm starting to notice an odd trend. I remember in old 40d ambushes would come right into your fort, but these ones hit 1 cage trap and stop... and wait... Which is worse than them rushing towards my front door because now I've got to organize a squad to go deal with them. After losing a couple drafted miners, I'm also noticing that recovering wounded dwarves is probably the lowest priority task in the whole damn game. It took literally 10 minutes for someone to go grab a dying dwarf right outside my front door.. they where too busy looting socks, reloading traps, and picking their noses. Literally 20 dwarves with no job and still no one picked him up for 10 minutes.

Is this normal dworf misbehavior?

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush and retrieve fallen dwarf behavior?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »

I think if their leader is caught, they just linger around.
you can still deal with this by either equipping a few markdwarves or by building a catapult to slowly whittle away their forces from afar.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:51:33 pm »

Any cage trap should have a set of surrounding weapon traps to a depth of 2 tiles.  And if you have multiple cage traps, intersperse them with weapon traps in a checkerboard fashion.

Alternately, make sure that you can position marksdwarves to fire on the loitering goblins.

(This is why I do not use cage traps in the outer edges of my defenses.  You have to pass over 2-5 weapon traps before you'll hit a cage trap in most of my forts.)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »

A water-sluice can wash the loitering Gobbos into a pit (or through a tunnel lined with traps).
Never pet a burning dog.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:22 pm »

I just leave them be and forbid the mechanisms. Eventually they'll try going for the dog anyway and I end up with only three gobs and a dog corpse to take care of.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it