Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to Embark?  (Read 820 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where to Embark?
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:08 pm »

Now, Im no hardcore Dwarf player, but I've dealt with a glacier with moderate sucess. my question is, wheres an intresting place to embark? What type of industry should I make? Give me some suggestions folks!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Embark?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:57 pm »

I play in easy mode, so I have a few worldgens for different situations.  Desert worlds, lush forests, varied worlds, all with easily modded good/evil and savagery.  All of these are pocket worlds, so each world is generally one biome and I gen whatever I want to play.  Easier than genning a world and looking for that one biome type.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:26:35 pm »

I play in easy mode, so I have a few worldgens for different situations.  Desert worlds, lush forests, varied worlds, all with easily modded good/evil and savagery.  All of these are pocket worlds, so each world is generally one biome and I gen whatever I want to play.  Easier than genning a world and looking for that one biome type.

Easy Mode?

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:56:06 pm »

Your embark site generally tells you if your playing on easy mode (Clay, soil, metals, flux, forests, plants, wilderness, warm climate) Or utter hardcore. (Scorching/freezing, ocean side, badlands, terrifying, no metal, no soil, no trees, no plants, at war with goblins, elves, humans, and kobolds, with a dark fortress.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »

Moderate climate, metal scarcity 100 (tons of everything), flat maps, etc.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:52:44 pm »

I kinda wish that the Finder gave a way to do Random sites, or I am being blind that when you move your marker over a zone that it changes the location each time. None the less, I so want a Random local thing where you can't put anything in and it just picks a random spot on the map for you to start at...
Perhaps though you could change some things so its not so focused on one kind of environment, You could choose from Mountain/Plain/Forest/Frozen and it would give you a random local with those things being the major while not allowing you to know what the contents of that area could be...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:02:24 am »

If you want the chance to have fun (and not in the dwarven sense), get lotsa mountain, some forest, and a bit of river.
If you want fun in the dwarven sense, embark on a single region tile of glacier surrounded by water. In a terrifying biome. With zombie whales. :)

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:11:07 am »

An interesting place would be the mouth of a volcano , and only it . Have fun trying to establish farms, but after it , magma for everything!. It makes a good washing liquid for invaders, gets rid of the extra stuff.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:43:31 am »

Random site: Get a sadistic friend or forumgoer to create your embark area and possibly your embark profile.

I had a friend give me random numbers which I used for co-ordinates. (ie 8 and 12 meant 8 shift-tiles to the right, 12 shift-tiles down on a largish world).

It made for an interesting out-of-the-usual game.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 09:14:44 am »

If you get lucky generate a volcano by the sea coast. Half the map can be an instant obsidian farm. Lots of food from fishing. The caves can give you clean drinking water.