Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WEAK Forgotten Beast?  (Read 444 times)

Urist McGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WEAK Forgotten Beast?
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:58:24 am »

Aye so the other day after digging nearly 100 Z levels after a while i seen that an FORGOTTEN BEAST has entered my map.Being the first ever i was Ecstatic!It seem to have gone left down in an unexplored area of the cave.I sealed off the underground and begun preparing my army.One of my already injured soldiers was about to die of thirst as all the water was frozen exept that in the underground.So i was desperate.i sended 3 steel wearing,yet well trained soldiers into the underworld.And a surprize then!i checked the list,and the bloody thing was dead!After a few hours i discovered its body in the midlle of a small tribe of swallow men.Now the question i was asking myself...Either a Giant Worm forgotten beast with scales was weak,either those swallow  men were very strong.Trully i do not know their casualties,and i believe a special swallow  woman was there something that had a description of sort under its name.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WEAK Forgotten Beast?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:00:29 pm »

Either it was made out of steam or snow or something, or your dwarves got a lucky shot.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:23 pm »

The swallow woman with the description was the one who landed the killing blow on the forgotten beast.

Animalmen tribes are actually usually capable of taking out FBs; they have ranged attacks and numbers that allow them to defeat most non-metallic beasts. They usually do lose a significant part of their tribe, however; usually between 1/5 and 1/3 the first time a beast comes, with the second or third usually wiping them out entirely if a syndrome doesn't do the remainder of them in earlier on.

Anyway, Forgotten Beasts aren't as dangerous as you seem to think. They're somewhat stronger than, say, dragons, but that isn't terrible. The real threat is their syndromes; some of them can wipe out a whole fort even if they were killed without casualties due to their deadly blood.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »

Actually, anything can kill anything.

Including flying Fluffy wamblers

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:44 pm »

Some forgotten beasts are pretty weak. I mean really weak. Sometimes a random unarmed civilian can manage to kill one without sustaining injuries.
Other times it's a flipping rampaging monster seemingly ignoring every attack done by your year long trained and fully armed military, instantly killing a soldier by smashing his brain through a metal helmet, and spreading all sorts of syndromes that might be even more deadly.

So far I've found animal tribes underground fairly weak. I often manage to kill several tribes with only my 7 starting dwarves, all unarmed except for an axe and two pickaxes, with no casualties.
So far I've done this against batmen, amphibian men and swallow men.

However I've sometimes seen some cave man creatures become so adept in combat through an enormous amount of battle that, even if they're the sole survivor, they are a force to be reckoned with.
In my pevious fort I had a named amphibian man as sole survivor of his tribe, and he fought off forgotten beasts with ease using only his primitive wooden weapons. Granted he did fight them underwater, wich might have given him an edge.

But long story short, the strength of forgotten beast can vary enormously, and sometimes it's syndromes can be more dangerous then the actual beast.