Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding cages  (Read 886 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding cages
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:09 pm »

Where (in the raws I suppose?) can I mod cages, their behavior and the behavior of other creatures regarding cages (prisoners, hauling, changing cages, etc.). I tried going through the raws but there didn't seem to be an entry cage related things in the creatures files and the items files.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Modding cages
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »

Cages aren't in the raws.  Most furniture and other objects aren't, their behavior is hard-coded.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »

Cages aren't in the raws.  Most furniture and other objects aren't, their behavior is hard-coded.
To simplify what my rocky friend said,

You can't mod them.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:41:33 pm »

To simplify what my rocky friend said,

You can't mod them.

You *can* use them in custom reactions, though.  They exist, but their raws can't be edited.  Finding out exactly what they're called, however, is an inexact science.

[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL] will produce a steel mechanism.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:05:35 pm »

I see... what a shame, thanks people.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:09:12 pm »

Well cage behavior is most definitely outside the purview of what the raw files govern anyways.  What they do is handled with code, not tokens governing pieces of behavior.

Cages have one function: hold things.  They are a container.  There are many ways to get things into them.  None of this lends itself to a token like [HOLDS_PRISONER] or [CAPTURES_ANIMAL].  And more than that, if these kind of tags were in the raws, I believe one would be hard pressed to find any other uses for them other than making a cage, or something much like a cage trap.

Mods for other games often contain sections of some kind of c-like code.  DF doesn't.  Creatures and Weapons lend themselves to the kind of files DF uses for data storage... but cages aren't included in that type.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.