Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stay Inside = Rush out the front gates?  (Read 454 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stay Inside = Rush out the front gates?
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

Seriously, as soon as I set it to "only soldiers go out" I watched as a dozen non-military dwarves in a mob rush out the front gates and get chased around by gobos.  They didn't even HAVE jobs to cancel.

Second ambush came along and I watched another dozen or so dwarves rush out the front gates and scatter in all directions as they encountered hostiles.

Wish I'd managed to get a video of it, but sadly once it was happening it was happening.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Inside = Rush out the front gates?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

Depending on what the circumstances were, it could have been a bug or just undesired behavior. If there was even one object outside for hauling, each dwarf would be getting the job to haul it, one after the other, and only canceling the job when they try to step on above ground areas, causing them to group at the entrance. Then, of course, as soon as a goblin shows up, they stop caring that outside is forbidden, they just want to get away from the goblins, so end up scattering every which way. Only real way to avoid that is liberal use of doors, or babysitting outside with forbid designations ready.

Also, if any of your fort is considered above ground, that could mess with their understanding of what is underground and safe, though overall shouldn't be nearly as much an issue.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: ein Syndication ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:11:00 am »

The odd part is where they bunched up.  They weren't entrance dancing like I've ussually seen, no they were full blown 10, 15 tiles away from "underground" before they scattered.

I suppose as a suggestion, running away when outside means RUN THE F*** INSIDE!

Inside I can see being a different story, but all too frequently I've seen a dwarf "run away" from a goblin to his immediate west by going due south (the entrance to the fort being a mere 10 tiles due north) or occationally south east.

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

I would love a feature that ordered all civilians to report to (and stay at) the nearest designated meeting area...

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>The odd part is where they bunched up.  They weren't entrance dancing like I've ussually seen, no they were full blown 10, 15 tiles away from "underground" before they scattered.

I suppose as a suggestion, running away when outside means RUN THE F*** INSIDE!

Inside I can see being a different story, but all too frequently I've seen a dwarf "run away" from a goblin to his immediate west by going due south (the entrance to the fort being a mere 10 tiles due north) or occationally south east.</STRONG>

You're not alone; I've had the exact same problems you describe. Dwarves run a dozen or so tiles past the last spot that any sane person would remotely consider to be "indoors", then see a gobbo and continue to run more or less straight past the goblin, further away from the fortress in an attempt to get to "safety". Usually, they never get back indoors again before they die.

It's very annoying when it happens. All I can think of to circumvent it is to forbid anything that might interest them outdoors, or simply lock them indoors, although this unfortunately often has the effect of no longer luring invaders into your defenses.

[Edit] Grammar.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

I really don't understand why town citizens in adventure mode have the AI to cram themselves into the mead hall when a hostile creature attacks them, and dwarves don't. Running to the meeting place or own room (whichever is available) and staying there until the "call to arms" is over would be a very logical behavior.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

Well, town citizens don't have anything to do except practice their cow impressions.  They are not interested by burning socks, even when they have one thrown at them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RogerN:
<STRONG>I would love a feature that ordered all civilians to report to (and stay at) the nearest designated meeting area...</STRONG>

This, PLEASE.  Telling everyone to stay inside just isn't enough when you're trying to lure enemies into an indoor trap.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Footkerchief:
<STRONG>Telling everyone to stay inside just isn't enough when you're trying to lure enemies into an indoor trap.</STRONG>

It can be if you sufficiently rewall the area so the dwarves think it's outside.