Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intelligent discussion archive  (Read 778 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Intelligent discussion archive
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:13 pm »

So with the recent shitstorm, I was wondering what happened to intelligent discussion.

Well, let's keep it here.

This topic will archive all the intelligent, and entertaining, discussion We can find. Maybe spawn a few.

I believe the last discussion I had was with one of my steam friends about the implication of animal farm on early 20th century nations.
The conversation then turned to communist russia, and how it rose to power.

What have you been discussing, bay12?

ARCHIVE

Your Utopia
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:17:13 pm by ggamer »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent discussion archive
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

Reserved for archive.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:42:39 pm »

Well, judging by recent threads, we've been discussing nuclear power and its pros/cons, Middle Eastern and northern African revolutions, state politics, hell even crime and punishment vs. military...I dunno, stuff like that. 

I'm a little insulted by the implication that the forum needs any one person's help to be the guardian of intelligent discussion...

Though I should be less bitchy.

I know we had some discussion on what constitutes a utopia, and that had at least a little serious discussion.  What do you WANT to talk about?  Because we could talk about that.

I know we've had a few instances where peoples' political opinions were actually swayed through discussion.  Now THAT might be archive-worthy, since it's so rare on the internet.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:46:01 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:47:24 pm »

talk about talking?

huh.

No, I'm not trying to be a "guardian of intelligent discussion", I just wanted to keep some pretty cool discussions archived, so that they aren't whisked away by the interwebs.

What DOES constitute a Utopia? I mean, if everything was perfect, you would still have people not happy, because they like things imprefect...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 06:03:19 pm »

What DOES constitute a Utopia? I mean, if everything was perfect, you would still have people not happy, because they like things imprefect...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81927.0

Though for what it's worth, it was also covered by The Matrix.  Hee.  But yeah some people want to provide for themselves; those are easy for a utopia to take care of (just don't force good things on them).  One of the hard parts though, even in post-scarcity, is dealing with people who want to be /better/ than other people.  Kind of like your DF nobles...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!