Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Archers on walls fail at archer-ing?  (Read 2331 times)

e852147101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Archers on walls fail at archer-ing?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:53 pm »

I want to ask, also, is there a dependable way to get non-high-level archers up against fortifications so they can shoot?  I haven't seen standing orders of Defend Burrow (the burrow restricted to the area next to the fortifications) work, so please inform me of what I'm doing wrong.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:01 pm »

I want to ask, also, is there a dependable way to get non-high-level archers up against fortifications so they can shoot?  I haven't seen standing orders of Defend Burrow (the burrow restricted to the area next to the fortifications) work, so please inform me of what I'm doing wrong.

The easiest way I found is to have only 1 space available in front of the fortification.  Then your dwarves have no choice but to stand there and you don't have to mess with burrow assignments etc.  I got that to work a while ago and I think I made an alert with a schedule set to defend burrow.  Too much of a hassle, really, so I've been building my fortifications with single-tile access in front of em.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:56 pm »

You can also set them to do a patrol, with the path being all along the wall.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:39 pm »

I hate to be 'that' guy, but inexperienced marksdwarfs shoot from atop as well as any other marksdwarf, I had to channel out the ceiling of my entry tunnel and station a dwarf with a crossbow and bolts on top to shoot at the goblins and he did. He didn't hit at first, and didn't kill any of the goblins, but he at least made them leave injured.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 01:20:57 am »

I think one of the real problems is that dwarves, even at the top of a wall with no way to reach the enemy, will still decide that their best choice is to charge down and attack them. If this happens, they will freeze on top of the wall with however many bolts they still have in their quivers.

This bug was worse in older versions, where there was pretty much no way to break this hypnosis short of dismissing the squad. Now, it's been sufficient for me to order the squad to move around a bit.

Sadly, even with decent crossbowmen (level 5-6 in xbow skill), I can't get them all to fire at the same time without funny stationing shenanigans and marching down up and down the walls until they fire.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 01:58:16 am »

Maybe it's a problem with the width of the wall or access to the outside? My archers are always on a 3x3 or 3x20 platform with no way to get off the platform until I unlock the hatchcovers.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 [2]