Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why Can't We Embark on Mountains?  (Read 2367 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Why Can't We Embark on Mountains?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:00:35 am »

Yeah, all other dwarven settlements are in the mountains. Sure, maybe they want a trading post with the humans on the edge of the plains. Maybe it's really just a FORT between the mountains and the Goblin settlements. Maybe there's a resource they want to secure. But at the same time, if I just want to build a new mountainhome right next to the civ, I should be allowed to. And the Dwarves should come to trade every 5 mins. :P

So basically, your Dwarf Fortress is really just a trading post/attrition dealing fort for the gobbos.

Think about it.

You can't create another mountainhome, because they aren't needed. What the king/queen DOES need is an expendable settlement which can serve as a commerce area and a place to be a magnet for raids. Notice how Legends mode lists numerous raids against Dwarven settlements? Notice how the goblins/elves/whatever attack only YOUR settlement after embark?

Those nobles are some evil bastards. Clever, too.

And then, to ensure that the settlement doesn't actually outclass the rest of dwarven civilization, the King himself will eventually show up to order people around, knowing that he'll have an "accident" which just might tip the already psychotic dwarven inhabitants into a maelstrom of carnage, bringing the (after the death of 230948203498 goblins and elves) no longer needed Fortress to it's end.

...Think about it!

...my god.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always
Pages: 1 [2]