Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: If only Urist didn't...  (Read 2903 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If only Urist didn't...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 07:37:46 am »

you know, you can order and suspend an "extra" bit of wall to be built on far side of the wall you are building. Dwarves will choose not to stand on the construction area for this wall, instead standing where you want them to. They never get stuck since i started using this trick.

One of my miners will, without fail, dig a channel in such a way that he/she causes a cave-in where he/she is standing.
Ditto for this, it's avoidable. Only channel in strips if there's anything that's been dug on the level below. You can do larger squares if the rock is known to be totally solid. Oh yeah and some use dig ramps on the level below - that's even safer and gives a very similar result.

Half of my dwarves stood completely still staring down a group of trolls for a few years once. Most of them starved/died of thirst, and the rest went berserk.
The answer if they get scared like this is to draft everyone into squads, then order the squads to move around. They don't freak-out whil in military mode.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:48:04 am by Reelyanoob »

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:07:29 am »

If only Urist McMason didn't trap himself every damn time I order them to wall off a section or build walls just anywhere.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:49 am »

If only Urist McMason didn't trap himself every damn time I order them to wall off a section or build walls just anywhere.
you know, you can order and suspend an "extra" bit of wall to be built on far side of the wall you are building. Dwarves will choose not to stand on the construction area for this wall, instead standing where you want them to. They never get stuck since i started using this trick.
How did you miss this? Y U NO READ POSTS?
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 01:07:41 pm »

The "build a section of wall" trick is also useful for the correct placement of lever-operated floodgates
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: 1 [2]