Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: causing an eruption  (Read 431 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
causing an eruption
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:53:27 pm »

im on a volcano, my fortress is a platform next to it, i want to make some death mechanism to kill invadinfg gobs (they ghave to pass the sides of the volcano) i was thinking abourt causing some sort of eruption just so the magme comes out and kill anything around the volcano, can it be done and if it can how?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: causing an eruption
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:05:08 pm »

I can't think of a way to force the magma up above the top of the volcano, but you could try just building an extention to hold and release magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:25 pm »

1. Build a large magma tank, not directly connected to the volcano (ideally have some sealable pumps fill it up)
2. Build a pump stack that pulls magma from this tank and lifts it to some position above the top of the volcano.
3. Connect the output of said pump stack to a sealed pipe which leads into the side of the volcano.
4. Turn on the pump stack and watch the volcano erupt.

For best results, connect the sealed pipe to the side of the volcano from which you want the magma to erupt - due to the way pump pressure works, the magma will prefer to bubble up directly above the opening you made. If you want the magma to emerge from the center of the volcano, you'll need to drain the volcano (ideally into your magma tank) and extend your pipeline outward into the volcano itself.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dragonfel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:52:15 pm »

If you want to the lava to literally burst out of the top of your volcano, you could turn your volcano into a magma piston. This would be VERY hard to set up with a pre-existing volcano, but if you wanted to create a dwarf-made volcano on a map it would be easier.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 05:01:34 pm »

well i tought of a design, pump the magma in a reservoir above the volcano using 2 pumps and a windmill (to endlessly power the second pump) and make a few opening occupied by floodgates that i open when invaders arrive so it rains magma on top of them