Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydromechanics and the dwarven hydro plant.  (Read 625 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hydromechanics and the dwarven hydro plant.
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:31:34 am »

Or more plainly a river and a dwarven watermill.

That's what I made anyway, both of them. I know it's a lot more practical to place a watermill on a world generated river since they have an ideal constant flow and constant water level, but I'm not into practical things.
So I made my own river by connecting two lakes that are on different z levels. It's far from an ideal river, as the only way to generate flow in a non ideal river is to have a different in waterlevel. So that rules out the constant waterlevel. No matter I can get it high enough under my watermill.

But even then it seems I can't get my dwarf made river to generate a constant flow. My first attempts sucked pretty hard where my watermill would only work half of the time, but my latest attempt allowed me to generate power for several minutes before a small hickup.
Now I don't mind a small interruption in power generation, however the watermill is connected to a millstone, and one tiny fraction of a second without power cancels every single task.
The idea was to make it an automatic grinder I didn't have to worry about, but right now I'm having to re set the tasks every 5 minutes.

I'll include a picture of my river and riverbed I made.

I should probably have included the part where the river stops in a waterfall, but most of it is on it.

So, is there anyone who can advice me on how to make this work? Any way to ensure a perfectly constant flow?

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hydromechanics and the dwarven hydro plant.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:35:18 am »

If the river is the slightly diagonal line, then you should probably make it straight.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:57 am »

Tried again and....still not working.  >:(
The river is now spouting water half across the map, but it still doesn't have sufficient flowing water.
This is rubbish I'm better off making a quern at this rate.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:28:27 am »

but I'm not into practical things.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:12:09 am »

I've got an idea, it's so simple really I don't know why I haven't thoguht of it before. I make two waterwheel behind one another, so that if one fails the other one can supply backup energy!

It's destiny man I can feel it, also a mason just got posessed and made an artifact millstone. I'LL SUCCEED THIS TIME I FEEL IT, THE ARTIFACT MILLSTONE SHALL MILL!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:47:49 am »

Succes! I used four waterwheels, four axles, four of those machine join thingys and one artifact millstone. It has not yet stopped milling, the true test of time shall be one hour!

Fetch me a rope reed poncho and call me an elf, it's still not working!  :'(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:47:29 am by Jelle »