Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure Oddities  (Read 321 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure Oddities
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:28:28 pm »

Anyone know why pressure might return water up a z-level... but only to a depth of 1-2? I built a j-pipe feeding my underground reservoir, using a floor hatch to keep out bad guys. After hooking it all up and opening the floodgate, it filled my reservoir to a depth of 1-2. I've done this before and had it work, the only two differences I can see are: 1, I didn't get rid of the ramp under the grate, and 2, the intake pipe flows under a murky pool. Any thoughts?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure Oddities
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:14:33 pm »

consider this;

my ten z-level cistern is filled from a river. It connects from it's bottom level to a vertical distribution shaft in the fortress that goes both down and back up to the surface level. When the cistern is filling or full to the top with 7/7, water rises less then one z-level in the shaft up from the bottom of the cistern. When the floodgates between the river and cistern are closed the shaft instantly fills up to the max level in the cistern.

It seems that since the river always has less then 7/7 water where it leaves the screen this somehow causes pressure to not work right at the bottom of the cistern. As soon as the river is disconnected it returns to how it is expected to work.

Now i'm curious to see if opening the floodgates again will vacuum the water out of the shaft that is above the level of connection to the cistern.