Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dwarf keeps swapping equipment  (Read 453 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Military dwarf keeps swapping equipment
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:16:17 pm »

I gave him a full suit of candy armor and weapon in this order:

mail shirt
breastplate
steel cap (so it isn't considered clothing)
helm
gauntlet
greaves
high boot
copper shield (for stronger hits)
axe

Ever since I have drafted him, he keeps rushing back to the armor stockpile every few seconds to "pick up equipment", yet his equip screen says he always has everything on. I've tried changing the order of the items but it didn't solve the problem. What is going on?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarf keeps swapping equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:08:36 pm »

Dwarves usually try to equip the hightest value equipment that fits with what has been assigned. They're probably stuck switching between two equal-value pieces of armor. to stop this, try forbidding the piece of armor they are currently wearing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:59:27 pm »

Or tell them exactly which piece of armor they should wear.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:43:49 pm »

I've seen a dwarf get stuck in a loop where he kept switching back and forth between two pieces of armor.  I think it went something like this:

• Dwarf is wearing toga and dress, or something.  That's the civilian attire he came with.
  • Dwarf puts on mail shirt.
  • Dwarf tries to put on breastplate, but can't, due to too much stuff on his torso.  So he removes the mail shirt, and puts on the breastplate.
  • Dwarf needs to put on the mail shirt, but can't because he's got a breastplate on.  So he removes the breastplate and puts on the mail shirt.
  • GOTO 3

I broke him out of it by toggling the "wear uniform over clothing" option for him.  Or maybe for his whole squad.  At that point he dropped all his clothing on the floor, and put on the military uniform properly.

Generally I don't run into a problem here, but it seems that this particular dwarf had more than the normal number of layers on his torso.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz