Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Personality Traits in Wiki  (Read 1330 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
New Personality Traits in Wiki
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:36:31 pm »

Well I just noticed a batch of new personality traits in the wiki(located at the bottom). Technically they are not new, but they are ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT, CAVE_ADAPT, and DETACHMENT.

So a few questions, if I make a dwarf
   [PERSONALITY:ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT:10:10:10] would this make the dwarf constantly alcohol deprived? Or will it just reset when they have a drink?
        Likewise with CAVE_ADAPT, would [PERSONALITY:CAVE_ADAPT:100:100:100] make the person constantly sick? Or will the effects wear off as normal?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: New Personality Traits in Wiki
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:40:41 pm »

I think these traits aren't spectra like the other personality traits where a dwarf's personality is set at birth, but more like meters that build up or decrease over time.

So what you're proposing probably will not work.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:47:44 pm »

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_standard.txt"
Unrecognized Personality Facet Token: CAVE_ADAPT

Hmm... guess the game doesn't recognize them as personalities. What are they doing on the Personality section on the wiki?

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »

They are probably on break.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »

I don't think they should be there either, as it is confusing, but at least it clearly shows that they function on a scale (I used to think they were more binary until I read that page). Furthermore, the description text for these traits appears in the same text space as personality traits, so they are connected in being attributes of the dwarf's mindset, though they function completely differently from other personality traits.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:08:23 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:54:18 pm »

How could they be binary if the dwarves' descriptions always change from one end to another through many states as they stay indoors longer? Or do you mean you didn't notice that?

P.S. If they would be named "cave adaptation" instead of "CAVE_ADAPT" and "alcohol dependence" instead of "ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT", it would be fine. Right now they use the names of actual creature tokens, which is at least mildly confusing and should be changed ASAP.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:56:31 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:52:45 pm »

hmm...  I would actually love an Alcohol Dependent personality trait, settable in a range by creature like the others...
Would make my non-alcoholic civs a little more interesting. You would need both alcohol and water to keep them happy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:09:15 pm »

There's not such thing as "alcohol dependency range", you are either alcoholic or not :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:38:55 pm »

Well I was hoping for a 'Drunk' caste who was naturally alcohol deprived and thus worked slower and with less quality then the other guys.

Likewise, the CAVE_ADAPT would come in handy for a sick caste who would vomit everywhere.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »

Well my own custom race isn't alcohol dependent, but if I give them nothing but booze for years at a time they become so.  So there must be some kind of variable that slowly builds up someplace that determines whether something is an alcoholic or not.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 10:16:32 pm »

The reason they're listed under personality traits is that they show up in the same list as personality traits.

"He is moved to pity by suffering.  He is hardened.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day."

But by that logic, the mannerisms should be on that list too.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:41:18 am »

[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] gives the creature a number determining how much this effects the. The number starts out at 100 after a drink (I think), and then decreases over time. The wiki says that after long enough the dwarves can go insane, though it hasn't yet been confirmed whether this is a consequence of unhappiness, or whether an ecstatic dwarf will go insane from not having alcohol for a few years (a test has been devised for this by keeping dwarves in a burrow not containing any booze indefinitely).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:02 am »

[ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] gives the creature a number determining how much this effects the. The number starts out at 100 after a drink (I think), and then decreases over time. The wiki says that after long enough the dwarves can go insane, though it hasn't yet been confirmed whether this is a consequence of unhappiness, or whether an ecstatic dwarf will go insane from not having alcohol for a few years (a test has been devised for this by keeping dwarves in a burrow not containing any booze indefinitely).
Adamantine studded adamantine throne with adamantine studded x3 table and an artifact statue (studded x5) as a personal dining room will solve it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:44:43 am »

They aren't personality traits at all - personality traits are determined at birth and do not change.

If anything, they're just special attributes (since they change based on behavior), so they technically don't belong on that page at all; thus, I've moved the "detachment" (really "psychological trauma") to the bottom of the Attribute page, added a note about alcohol withdrawal to the Booze page (it's actually a straight timer comparison - 3 months per stage of withdrawal), and removed cave adaptation entirely.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:14:42 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.