Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trading dwarves  (Read 2971 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Trading dwarves
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 06:24:09 am »

Great news, while I was strolling through the other boards I found this.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82546.msg2193866#msg2193866

If you have [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags on dwarves (only needed during worldgen, remove the [PET] tag during play) then you can buy extra dwarves as pets ("tame" peasants) at embark, and order caged dwarves from the dwarven caravan (which have professions like immigrants, oddly enough, but sometimes run away off-map when uncaged, others seemed to stay randomly), and probably buy them from the other caravans too. This would give a source of dwarves even if the main civ died out. (adding [TRAINABLE] gives you wardwarves and hunting dwarves, but they're slightly buggy and you can only change their labours with Dwarf Therapist)

My latest world, the only pack animal / domestic pet is the Dwarf, and I had two extra dwarves on embark, instead of wagon-pullers. I'm taking a break, but I'm hoping to see the elves turn up with Dwarven baggage carriers.

btw, in my last fort, I'm getting no caravans or immigrants for years, but lots of big sieges. I wasn't sure, but reading this I guess the Goblins wiped out the Dwarves, Humans, Elves, and Gnomes (my additional race I modded in so I get a caravan in winter).

The last caravan the Elves sent was remarkably small/cheap, and I wondered why, since I have trade goods coming out of my ears, and I give a generous margin to encourage more stuff. Could they have been on their 'last legs' and about to be destroyed, so this affected the amount they could trade??

So it is indeed possible.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading dwarves
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 06:44:17 am »

IT 000 : thanks for saving me the search ! There's an older thread where I did 100% !SCIENCE! on the issue though, i might look for. The original topic of the thread was about modding cave crocs to be breedable.

i'll just add here, that wardwarves and hunting dwarves can be assigned to other dwarves, with the usual restrictions. Hunting dwarves, being presumably faster could make a great hauler-caste
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:56:59 am by Reelyanoob »
Pages: 1 [2]