Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "inverted burrow" or similar.  (Read 599 times)

szoltomi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"inverted burrow" or similar.
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »

Hello, I have a simple question regarding fortress defense mostly:

Is there any way to desing an area which dwarves are not allowed to enter by any means, but it's otherwise passable for non-citizens like traders, animals and invaders?

It's an extremely daunting task making all kinds of protection in the fort, and because I left something un-forbidden, Urist Mcbraininass and his whole family decides to clean it, or pick it up, then run right into the arms of goblins, because they are so stupid that they run TOWARDS the invaders instead of away from them when they get scared (in a 1 wide hallway, yes.)

Thanks for the help!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: "inverted burrow" or similar.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »

No.

You can make a burrow that covers the entire map except for one area, and assign all your dwarves to it, but that won't actually stop your dwarves from going into that area, it will just cause any objects or buildings in that area to effectively be forbidden to them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:19:16 pm »

Typically i manage defense by assigning Urist MC Melancholy (Its the only reasonable explaination, there all stricken with melancholy) to two burrows. One for my keep(A fortress within the fortress) and the fortress. When the fortress has invaders in it, i assign him to the keep. Just remember it takes Urist a long time to move.

In English: Make a burrow that covers your entire fort and activate it when your sieged. Make sure it doesn't cover anywhere where your dwarf can/will be hurt. And remember, Burrows can cover multiple z levels.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:20:51 pm by Avo »

szoltomi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »

Thanks for the help, I don't like burrows too much, setting them up properly in an already entablished fortress is a bit too annoying.

However I have a little question, IIRC burrows extend into the new areas you mine out. Does the same happen when you uncover a cave too?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »

However I have a little question, IIRC burrows extend into the new areas you mine out. Does the same happen when you uncover a cave too?

Burrows do not automatically extend into newly revealed areas - rather, the game merely permits you to place them in unrevealed areas.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.