Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The giant organs. The dwarven songs that shake the earth.  (Read 670 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
The giant organs. The dwarven songs that shake the earth.
« on: April 16, 2011, 03:20:01 pm »

So, the idea is that when dwarves will be able to play music, there should be massive instruments that you can construct. So heres how it works. So, you will first need some stuff:strings(mat), mechanisms and pipes(mat?) to build a building called an organ base.

Organ bases could be put together to form longer lines.

each base will have a pipe connection area above it. Pipes could be built along these to go all around yout fortress and let your dwarves hear the music.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: The giant organs. The dwarven songs that shake the earth.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »

Not what I was expecting for a DF related statement involving giant organs.

But sure, organs sound cool, if a bit complex.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »

The idea is that they HAVE to be complex. They are sopfisticated musical instrument.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:02:18 pm »

He probably doesn't mean that the way you suggest we build them is complex.. but the idea of an organ in DF's era is. My answer: you're right, but we're talking about dwarves.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »

Three questions;

A) Would the player hear the music?

B) What effect would music have on dwarves?

C) Would more complex organs give different results?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »

Let's wait till we have simple things like Drums working, then worry about super-dwarfy engineering feats like organs ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:16:22 am »

Damn. I was also drawn to this topic by the mention of giant organs. You know. Those that "sail off in the arc" so often ingame.

That being said, I dont see why it would be hard to create music pieces on a MIDI level for the game, even custom tunes could play; but how you'd implement a custom tune's custom effects, is beyond me. Also, why this would get implemented before something like bugfixes, widely wanted improvements, and new gameplay features? Just asking. If the organs were magma fed, and spewed fire and lava from their pipes, you could gather enough mass feedback to make this idea go thru.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 04:59:47 am »

He probably doesn't mean that the way you suggest we build them is complex.. but the idea of an organ in DF's era is. My answer: you're right, but we're talking about dwarves.

Actually the organ in some form goes back to classical times, and in a more modern form to the Middle Ages:

Large organs such as the one installed in 1361 in Halberstadt, Germany, the first documented permanent organ installation, likely prompted Guillaume de Machaut to describe the organ as "the king of instruments", a characterization still frequently applied. The Halberstadt organ was the first instrument to use a chromatic key layout across its three manuals and pedalboard, although the keys were wider than on modern instruments. It had twenty bellows operated by ten men*, and the wind pressure was so high that the player had to use the full power of his arm to hold down a key.
*Another use for my army of Urists McHauler...

Some things like stops are out of DF's time frame (although the player could implement them with logic gates or something), but the basic instrument was historically made with DF-era technology.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.