Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about building destroyer tag and doors.  (Read 435 times)

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about building destroyer tag and doors.
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:19:41 am »

Quite simply, I'm wondering if the material of an object affects how long it takes a building destroyer like a dragon or forgotten beast to break it down.  If so, what property determines its resilience, weight?  Density?  Would a certain deep metal make for a nigh impenetrable door?

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
Re: Question about building destroyer tag and doors.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »

I thought until recently that buildings with artifacts are immune to building destroyers because I was able to contain the HFS with an artifact door in 28.40d.

And then in 31.18 a titan or giant came along and deconstructed my citrine artifact floodgate barring his path into my weapon traps. It did not seem to take very long. Possibly quality is not a factor, or is weighted against size of the building destroyer.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about building destroyer tag and doors.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:12:41 am »

I know that door material and quality definitely DO affect how long it takes to break down say, a door. Get a masterwork steel door and it will take a season or so for a troll to bash it down. As far as I can tell, artifact doors used to have unlimited hitpoints in the same manner that artifact armor/clothes never wear out, but perhaps that's been changed (been a long time since I had one to test with).

Also, there are two different building destroyer tags, things with building destroyer 1 (which notably includes all skeletons and zombies) can only break down wooden items, so any stone/metal will keep them out forever. Building destroyer 2's can bust through anything eventually. Unless it's a z-level above them, then they cant reach it.