Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companion no longer fights, cannot find shop.  (Read 1500 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Companion no longer fights, cannot find shop.
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »

I found a companion, who was a prisoner locked up in an abandoned castle. I looked at him with Runecraft and apparently he's classified as a demon and is almost 800 years old. He's pretty badass, with level 14 fighting skills. He also seems to have some venomous cloud attack. Anyway, while on the way to a task he kept constantly chasing after every creature we saw. However, after killing the monster I noticed he didn't help in the fight. I've now traveled around a bit and been in several fights and he only follows me around and never performs any actions. I've checked him, he has no wounds or crippled limbs, not surprising as he generally just mauled the crap out of everything that ever got near him without getting touched. How can I fix him? He's way too awesome to just follow me around doing nothing.

Any way to make your companions not go berserk on every bunny, horse, bird, etc. that you see?

Second, I've visited some 9 different human hamlets and such and I simply cannot fight a shopkeeper to sell my loot. Where can they be found?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Companion no longer fights, cannot find shop.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:34:23 pm »

After fighting some 12 enemies, I was bumped out of travel mode by a Troll. And soon discovered that suddenly my buddy is once again fighting since as I write this he is.. gnawing on the Troll's eyelid. Hehehe, next few rounds he was shaking the Troll around by the eyelid, ouch! I was hacking at it from behind, and then he punched it's lower arm off and it bled to death. Awesome.

The enemies I was fighting when he wasn't helping were human bandits and 2 goblins.. Maybe some odd bug that worked itself out - or for some reason he won't fight those?

Well.. I just found what ended up being 7 or 8 stocked up shops. The good/bad news is the town appears to be abandoned so no shop keepers. Oh well, I guess I should go help myself to the goodies...

:)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:57:20 pm by BoogieMan »

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »

Maybe the shopkeepers heard a badass 800 year old demon with poisonous farts was coming to town and decided to vacate rapidly?

Gloopy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:31:44 pm »

Find a town with a market. They're usually marked by an * or a + and clearly labeled as Towns instead of Hamlets and look quite a bit bigger on the fast travel map.  Not every kingdom has them though, usually just the really successful ones.

I had a similar thing happen with one of my demon companions, but it was after I attacked him so I could leave him at a camp for a bit; not sure what the problem was in your case. Note that it has to be a camp/lair and not a town/fortress, as the latter seems to reset completely when you leave it in the current version.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:34:45 pm by Gloopy »

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:27:15 am »

This happened to me once with a pocket world: I met a golden demon, the former leader of a goblin civ, the last surviving member of a human civ and sole "prisoner" in the human's keep.  Once I "freed" him, goblin ambushes became pleasant chats as I'd become a hero in the eyes of the goblin civ.  My golden demon buddy had this really complex web of membership to various cultures, he'd always go after wildlife, night creatures, and minotaurs, but he would often stand around when I was taking on bandits.  I just figured he used to be their boss or something.  If I remember right, he accidentally set me on fire in a bleak freak's lair and I couldn't stop passing out or die so I retired.   
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:07:06 pm »

Yeah I've discovered while he rips up monsters and wildlife he won't touch any goblins or humans.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »

Well if you're friends with a demon, I wouldn't want to kick your ass either.

Anyway, that's supposed to happen. Companions will only attack two things; Wild things (Including monsters.) and hostile things. If you attack a town and everyone in it becomes hostile, it's rather difficult to say what happens. Assuming the demon wasn't friends with the guy you killed or was a member of the civilization, he will back you up.

On the other hand, if he was, you likely won't live to see the next moment because companions who were part of an entity will betray you if you attack it.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.