Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wanna something cool?  (Read 1702 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Wanna something cool?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

quote:

Randomly generated universe with multiple earth-sized worlds.
Maintain the same universe between games and develop a rich history or generate a new one as you see fit.
Populate your world with familiar creatures or with randomly generated ones.
Each world includes a working ecosystem with many thousands of species.
Skill-based advancement system -- no fixed classes or levels.
Each creature has a working body with detailed, interconnected bodyparts -- no hitpoints.
Functional respiration, circulation, consciousness, nausea, stunning, broken bones, illness, severing, and more.
Detailed items that can be built and broken.  They are made from materials that behave appropriately.
Working civilizations that expand, utilize resources, wage war, trade, and interact with each other.
Complex magic system with programmable spells. You can make your own if you like, or use any of the many spells provided.
Explore freely. There is no fixed plot, although plots develop as creatures interact. Preset plots can be generated if desired.
A robust Z coordinate (no dungeon levels, etc).

o_o
o_O
O_O

This was a REALLY ambitious project.
Now I see why the DF is so great. The guys who have cojonas to plan these kind of things always are THAT serious.

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

Editor docs?  There were docs?  I don't remember that, aside from the thing that zonk wrote and my own manual that read more like a manifesto of unfinished features or something.

It wasn't abandoned because it was too complex/ambitious (DF is too ambitious to finish, and I'm not abandoning it), but I focused on the minute details too much, rather than on the bigger picture, and the code is just plain worse and would require serious overhauls to obtain anything approaching DF's dwarf mode, there were also some very annoying bugs that wouldn't have been easy to fix.  I was working on DF concurrently for a few years, and it really started taking off as our generic fantasy game so it became the focus.  A lot of Armok's complications regarding bodypart, magic, materials and items are all fair game for DF, but I'm not going to make the same mistake of focusing on them first.  It's much more important to have a framework for the larger game.  I'm not sure what Zonk is saying regarding the name.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »

That was part of my manual it looks like.  I don't remember if that manual was distributed with the game or just an online thing.  Maybe there's still a copy hidden in my b12 filespace.  Dunno.  I'll look.

edit:
http://www.bay12games.com/armok/manual.html
such as it is...

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

quote:
Slaves to Armok: God of Blood
Instruction Manual (Outdated!!!!!!)

Outdated indeed.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

I actually thought that site still had the old Armok files. I was sorely disappointed.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

Thank you toady for finding that it helps give an overview!!!!

God u useds to suck at programming! LMAO >jk<

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 05:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG> I'm not sure what Zonk is saying regarding the name.</STRONG>

Emh, sorry, maybe I said that somewhat awkardly.What I meant is that, by calling Dwarf Fortress "Slaves to Armok II", you made it look like Slaves to Armok I was a finished product, while it's not(though it was funny to play around with) - which sounds much better than just abandoning it.

Regarding the editor docs...umh, you might try digging through the Slaves to Armok forum, maybe download some pre-made creature files to learn something if you wanted to experiment.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 06:38:00 am »

quote:
Armok, the God of Blood, is just about the only constant in these chaotic random universes.  A general sense of conflict keeps Armok appeased - when the universe becomes too boring it is set on the anvil of creation to be reforged.  In some universes, Armok may be very involved, inspiring priesthoods and millions of followers.  In others, Armok may take a lesser role, or no role at all, up until the apocalypse.

Now we know even more about Armok.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

So now you know a little more about me.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

Not really, but I'll humor you anyways.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zonk:
<STRONG>
Emh, sorry, maybe I said that somewhat awkardly.What I meant is that, by calling Dwarf Fortress "Slaves to Armok II", you made it look like Slaves to Armok I was a finished product, while it's not(though it was funny to play around with) - which sounds much better than just abandoning it.

Regarding the editor docs...umh, you might try digging through the Slaves to Armok forum, maybe download some pre-made creature files to learn something if you wanted to experiment.</STRONG>

I've been goin thru them Havent seen any downloadable creatures tho, for now I,ve been experimenting by editing the file with the game, I have succeeded in giving humans a 10-15 foot spike of hair sticking straight out from their forehead, On another note the flashing words in the background are somewhat disturbing.....I have had cravings for rabbit as of late regardless of their cuteness, was Armok a mind control project?? Are you C.I.A. Toady?? Also I kicked a tree in real life today, it hurt...

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 05:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by I3erent:
<STRONG>

I've been goin thru them Havent seen any downloadable creatures tho, for now I,ve been experimenting by editing the file with the game, I have succeeded in giving humans a 10-15 foot spike of hair sticking straight out from their forehead, On another note the flashing words in the background are somewhat disturbing.....I have had cravings for rabbit as of late regardless of their cuteness, was Armok a mind control project?? Are you C.I.A. Toady?? Also I kicked a tree in real life today, it hurt...</STRONG>

Were you expecting it to bleed and give into pain?

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

Submissions page
(you access it from the Download one)

Umh..by the way, since Slaves to Armok I is discontinued, it might be interesting for you to release it's source code Toady...unlike with Dwarf Fortress, I don't think releasing STOA:GOB code is a sensitive issue and something that would reduce your well-deserved profits from donation. Of course, it's your choice, sorry if the suggestion upsets you - I'm just curious about checking the game code.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: Zonk ]

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

Sweet...
Pages: 1 [2]