Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do elven animals breed?  (Read 337 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Do elven animals breed?
« on: April 17, 2011, 12:35:16 am »

I heard about how honey badgers are the new carp, and I saw an elven caravan with one.

Then another one next time.

Now I have one male (Currently chained at the end of a long, winding, trap-filled corridor as bait that can defend itself.) and one female (Wandering about the fortress.)

Will they eventually have babies? I also noticed that the badgers aren't designateable as pets... Would their offspring be able to be?

Two (Not mutually exclusive) possibilities: Elves spay an neuter their animals, and they tell them not to do anything the dwarves say.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do elven animals breed?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:50:26 am »

Honey badgers have [PET_EXOTIC], meaning that they breed only if you've got a dungeon master. Dungeon masters are, IIRC, still bugged and never show up, so those animals won't breed.

Creatures that just have [PET] that are bought from the elves breed normally.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: Do elven animals breed?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:01:51 am »

Why does Toady keep adding [PET_EXOTIC] to things, knowing full well we can't use them then?

Is he intentionally trolling us? Or is it just to make us want the dungeon master even more?

Now I have to RELY on elves for honey badgers...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.