Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecarts! :D  (Read 813 times)

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
Minecarts! :D
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »

Oh don't tell me you haven't thought of them before. Think about it. Your minters no longer have to waste time walking to their work place, they can go on minecarts!

I'm wondering how jobs they would need, though. Maybe several bars per rail section, carve out a cart, and then have your dwarves fly! Of course, to go upward would be pump or mechanism handling.
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts! :D
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »

Welcome to the forums.  :)

Before you making a suggestion, it is recommended that you make use of the search function at the top right of the page, and read the development pages to ensure that you are not making a duplicate request, and to hopefully ensure that the suggestion forums are used to build off of the arguments of the past, refining the arguments towards better ideas, rather than rehashing the same arguments over and over again.

Minecarts are part of one of the winners of the Eternal Suggestion Voting system, and are a part of the Development Page, slated to go into the game already.

See this portion, about 2/3s of the way down the page:
Quote from: devpage
Hauling Improvements
  • Being able to haul multiple small objects
  • Having multiple dwarves involved with item hauling for a job
  • Being able to move multiple objects with roughly the same destination at once
  • Wheelbarrows to haul more objects than can be carried
  • Minecarts
  • Wooden, stone-carved and metal tracks
  • Can be filled like stockpiles and moved between destinations
  • Work animals to tow carts and haul objects
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:06:01 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »

Oh geez, I'm sorry about that. It's nice to meet you, is there a thread where I can introduce myself?
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:15:09 pm »

I'm not sure of a formalized greeting thread in the "upper" forums, but there is this thread in the general DF forum.

You can probably also visit the General Discussion forum in the "lower" forums, where there are much less restrictions about what topics belong where.

Ultimately, though, if you just want to casually talk about DF, then Gameplay Questions (for help in playing the game), DF Fortress Mode, or DF Adventure Mode.

Also, there isn't much need to apologize - just about everyone comes to either the suggestions or the modding forum first off.  I pretty much just have a form response at this point for people making their first suggestions.

When talking about your suggestions in the future, though, I do recommend you take the time to actually plot out the effects of the changes, rather than ask "how many jobs they would need" - it makes a more persuasive argument when you show your work, and reveal research you have conducted, and quote and respond to other, similar arguments in the past to show that you have addressed those old concerns. 

A suggestion isn't just a casual conversation, it's an argument for a change.  You need to arm yourself with the arguments that will persuade others to your point of view before you launch a suggestion thread.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare