Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Map Migrants  (Read 812 times)

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Map Migrants
« on: March 27, 2008, 04:00:00 am »

So what is it exactly that world map migrants do?

I think I just say three or four migrant group travel from an elven town to a human town that then upgraded from a # symbol to a * (actually to a turtle symbol), but I'm not sure...

...and I don't particularly want to save-scumm to back before I killed that dang titan to verify.

so, anyone know?  did those elves just push SinewSieges up to the next population level?

should just start a thread called "Butcher''s endless string of modding questions"

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Map Migrants
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »

Okay, verified.  After the elves arrived at the human town it upgraded from a # to a *, but after I retired and subsequently reactivated my adventurer, the town was back to a # sign.

anyone else ever see anything like this?

should just start a thread called "Butcher''s endless string of modding questions"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

Yeah, immagrants move into towns they feel comfortable in and live as the locals do.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

In between adventures it sorts out units that are out of place, and if those migrants had been created by a previous visit to an elf site (migrants are off now, so it was either that or you are playing an early version), they won't consider the new site home enough to stay, probably.  There are some issues.  I'm either going to handle some of this during stage 9 of this release or put it off again.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

So do migrants not generate unless the adventurer visits?

I've only seen elves and goblin migrants (unless those camels that assaulted the goblin tower count) and it seems that's always right after I leave the elf town or a goblin tower.

BTW, hunting down the "fleeing" goblins was pretty fun.

Oh, and the elven glade was just crawling with pointy-ears when I got there the first time.  They were everywhere!  Does overpopulation with respect to the number of historical figures have a factor in migrant spawns?  If so that would explain why the gobs were always leaving after I killed a legendary priest, guard, or drunk...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

In the currently released version, migrants and nomads are turned off.  The ones you get are people that are stranded outside the site rectangle when the site offloads -- they become a wandering group that should just go back to the town immediately, but instead they'll often choose an entirely new town to visit using the standard migrant code.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

Do you think they can be back in this next release? I am curious about the nomads now... :)

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>In the currently released version, migrants and nomads are turned off.  The ones you get are people that are stranded outside the site rectangle when the site offloads -- they become a wandering group that should just go back to the town immediately, but instead they'll often choose an entirely new town to visit using the standard migrant code.</STRONG>

Okay.  That explains the "fleeing" goblins and the wandering elves.

and I guess that explains the named camel...

...the named camel that I followed around for about 4 days.

It looked like he knew where he was going!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

!

Named critters become migrants you can hunt and kill?  Does this happen with animals that earn names during Adventure mode too?  Being able to avenge our fallen by slaying the wolves, tigers, and bears that killed them could be fun.

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:14:00 am »

Either the camel was a pet of the one dwarf peasant I was initially following, or it was a member of the large pack of camels that were laying a rather hilarious seige on a goblin tower...

Or the world generated a named camel legend all on its own; an exemplary dromedary.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

It doesn't know how to handle named wilderness opponents right now, so it just stuffs them into random caves for the next game.  They'll stay in the region later.

Butcher Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>It doesn't know how to handle named wilderness opponents right now, so it just stuffs them into random caves for the next game.  They'll stay in the region later.</STRONG>

oh, wow!  I actually encountered that just last night.  I thought it was intentional.

It's pretty cool that the Skeletal Jaguar that killed my last adventurer got a name and moved into the empty cave complex, probably to ponder fell beasts and treasure.

speaking of treasure, I found trinkets lying around the place after he moved in, but I'm pretty sure there were none when the place was vacant.  Did he bring his own treasure?  That's badass!