Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Play it like an RPG  (Read 2206 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Play it like an RPG
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »

I haven't played LCS in a long while...with the way its been updated and everything is it possible to play it as a generational RPG? By that I mean is it completely viable to just play as a "gang" of a few people or something and not go after the main objective of destroying conservatism....aka can it be played like a crime based RPG?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Play it like an RPG
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »

Nope, not as far as I know.

Still, you can do a lot of semi-gangish things even while fighting conservatism, like killing a bunch of SWAT(and dying in the process), or selling drugz for profit and cop bullets(ouch), and why not a little bit of car-vs-car shootouts?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:12:05 pm »

Hell I was just thinking some crazy SAW type shit...capture and murder tons of people while training an apprentice...and see how many generations I could make it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:37:51 pm »

Actually, I would say, yes, it is somewhat possible to play as a gang. You'll have to ignore the wording of the introduction about being a liberal and such and replace it in your mind with your own backstory. You'll be able to spray LCS on the wall of the crackhouse and pretend it stands for something other than Liberal Crime Squad, and forcibly take over those type of sites and rule it with an iron fist (by that I mean being able to raid it at your will and attack the 'reds' on your territory or whatever). The game will still have the extraneous LCS stuff of course, but you could play a little gang that is focused on making cash instead of changing the laws if you'd like. It would be neat to see that possibility be developed more in the future. It's too bad I'm not a coder and don't know how to work on LCS or I'd help with more than ideas.

As for a SAW type character, that's a pretty cool idea. I bet you could pull that off indefinitely once you get the hang of it. It would be an interesting Let's Play for sure. Perhaps you could pass the save off to someone else as a type of community game.

The only thing that might stop you is if there is a Game Over screen or something if all the laws go conservative (I have no idea as I haven't checked)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:47:15 pm »

Yeah if I could code or even mod this game worth a damn I would just make a gang or crime rpg offshoot...seems viable. I spose if there is no loss for the laws going super conservative then I could disregard the LCS part of the game completely. I will do some proof of concept type play a bit and see if its viable to do the SAW thing. Basically I will play as me and have one or two apprentices and maybe 1 or 2 people on the side...little else (with the possible exception of sleepers) and see how many kills I can get.

Spose later on if I got bored (IE if i can find a way to do it all sure fire and without issue indefinitely) I could then see how far I could get to adjusting the laws as a shadow figure...never seen but always influencing things...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:50:32 pm by dennislp3 »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:36:26 pm »

The losing scenario if you still have living leaders is just if they pass the Arch Conservative amendment, but you can probably win the game through being violent enough.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »

I spose I could RP some way to prevent that with the SAW character....

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:03 am »

Hell I was just thinking some crazy SAW type shit...capture and murder tons of people while training an apprentice...and see how many generations I could make it.

That is an awesome idea.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 06:39:35 am »

I'm something of a natural role-player in that I imagine everything that happens in LCS from a variety of viewpoints. What it looks like on the site, what are the Liberals thinking, how do the conservatives react and so on. Particulary strong is my vision on the Conservative party's leaders, whom I always have imagined as a secretive Council of Seven, and how they all lose their temper and kill each other when the ELAs are passed...

And back to OP's question. I made a commit yesterday that allows disabling either or both of the Elite Liberal Amendments, mainly because I think the term limits kill the tension. If there is public demand for such change, I can continue and make the entire political element disablable (is that a word?). However, it's still LCS and it's designed for political struggle, and this leaves a few questions to be answered: which laws should be used to provide the rules for non-political game? Should assault rifles be available, should there be death squads, should drug deals be illegal and how much so? And what about indoctrination, would it still be possible? Changing/omitting all the flavortexts would be too much of a change in my opinion, but disabling the laws and elections wouldn't be hard from a technical viewpoint.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:07:38 am »

I spose I could RP some way to prevent that with the SAW character....
'Survivors' who 'escape in time' become sleeper activists with a new 'liberal' view?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

Well you could presumably kidnap and beat (or outright kill) people but you lose heart.