Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c, windows] crash while paused after reclaim  (Read 471 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c, windows] crash while paused after reclaim
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

AppName: dwarfort.exe
Code: 0xc000000d
Offset: 004835c3
Address: 0x8835c3

The crash occured after I had un-forbidden the entire map and was redesignating some places for digging, while paused. The dwarves had moved a bit since I had it unpaused for about 30 seconds, but otherwise time hadn't been passing. When it crashed, I was looking at a screen where a great deal of what had been visible before losing was not visible because I had walled it off from inside it with my last dwarf in an effort to save him from the goblin ambush which had killed everyone else (in 1053). Said non-visible area was also filled with water, since he had accidentally dug up through an aquifer layer while going to get access to water.

I don't have a save from just before the crash - just one from when I first began the reclaim, but the crash isn't happening when I go back to the same area on the map where it happened (I haven't tried re-doing everything I did in between, and won't tonight, it's late now).

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [38c, windows] crash while paused after reclaim
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

Hrm, weird.  Let me know if you get anything to happen.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

I haven't gotten it to happen again, but am giving up on the reclaim attempt and going to attempt to resurrect the old save and prevent the goblins from getting in instead.

Why? Because:

The magma vent began erupting when we reclaimed the fort - this fort was created in 38c, in a 17x17 world also created in 38c. (It wasn't erupting when we started the fort) We started building a wall to hold it back (assuming it wouldn't flow up more than one level), but it started a wildfire. We did OK until the dwarves decided that they wanted to drink from the river despite having a water source inside the fort and 'prefer drinking from water zones' (or whatever it's called) on. The problem is that they decided that the best place to drink from the river would be the one spot on its bank which was on fire at that time. So about half the reclaim party burned themselves to death with sheer stupidity and I couldn't stop them. (I reloaded and couldn't get them to move away from there at all, even when the water zone preference was changed to ONLY drink from designated zones)

The rest dropped down to miserable and began to go melancholy.

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

Ah, can I have the old save then?  If I abandon and reclaim, presumably I can figure out how it is losing information about the magma height.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!