Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Build a two-story wall without getting stuck ?  (Read 9557 times)

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Build a two-story wall without getting stuck ?
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:07:35 am »

Hi all, I'm trying to build a big wall to protect my pasture outside the fortress.

A dwarf seems to have gotten stuck building the second floor of the wall, how can I free him ? (ie remove some of the wall)

Is there a way to build a wall on top of another wall so that dwarves won't get stuck, or do I have to build it one block at a time ?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Build a two-story wall without getting stuck ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:33 am »

Hi all, I'm trying to build a big wall to protect my pasture outside the fortress.

A dwarf seems to have gotten stuck building the second floor of the wall, how can I free him ? (ie remove some of the wall)

Is there a way to build a wall on top of another wall so that dwarves won't get stuck, or do I have to build it one block at a time ?

Build a ramp for him. I use two methods. I usually build towers, walls and cistern using one block at a time (two actually, from two sides), in that order:
Code: [Select]
9X..4
. = open space
X = staircase
number = order of wall building, starting with 0. Number 8 can be built anytime before all numbers 9.

But if I don't have time for that I just built minimal floors from the inside, they act as a scaffold and they are useful when building corners, to temporarily hold a wall. Also you can build bridges as scaffolds, and then leave them or retract them. I prefer bridges for cave-in traps, I don't even retract them.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:10:16 am »

The easiest (lowest maintenance) way to build multi-story buildings is to build scaffolding along the whole length of the wall. Just build an up-stair at ground level and as many up/down-stairs above that as you need levels. That'll also get your stuck dwarf down for now. Dwarves will stand on the stairs and build the walls without getting stuck or falling down. You only need to designate the outside corner tiles first or build the scaffolding from the outside. The scaffolding is later removed from top to bottom, layer by layer. Dwarves will stand one level down and remove the stairs above them from below.
Your dwarves will have to work a little more and need more building material, but at least you don't have to look after them every moment.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:13:35 am »

When building a Corner on any wall that is above ground, build a FLOOR GRATE at the apex, THEN build the Corner wall first. Your dwarves will use the Floor Grate as a path around this corner and when needed the Grate can easily be removed and not dropped down below like building mats do when deconstructed and is removed faster then deconstructing...

Check this link to something I have been working on too...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85037.msg2313836#msg2313836
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:31:57 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »

I often uses bridges to take care of the walling problems if I don't want scaffolds that stays around ( it uses less material too, if you're low on resource or want to conserve it). It however needs architect skill to be enabled, which you may have to set. Bridges won't support any free-standing walls so take cautious if you're building without actual supports ( floor or walls, as well as staircase anywhere north, south, east or west, or walls directly under it) however retracting bridges can support other free-standing retracting bridges ( at least in .18 I'm currently using). It's easy to deconstruct and doesn't 'drops' the building material to the ground ( or pit, or what have you).

That said, grates does works well if you have plenty of them and already have support of walls below to build beside, same with hatches.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »

I just build walls double-thick if I want them two-high.  Then there's an extra line to get about on.

Starts getting ridiculously costly in terms of materials for three-high walls of course.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

Just pre-stack stairs.