Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skill rust  (Read 1766 times)

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
Skill rust
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:11:18 am »

Hello all, I haven't played heavily since the old 2-D days right before the transition to z-levels and I was wondering on if there's a way to eliminate or at least greatly slow down skill rust. I just don't like it mainly for the rate of decay it goes through and what you have to do in order to shake it off, not to mention the loss of skill levels over time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(If there's already a topic for this then I haven't seen it after about 5 minutes of searching, mainly that it's 1:11 AM as I type this.)

Edit: I put this topic under modding since, technically, it involves modifying the game. If I'm wrong then please move this topic to the appropriate place.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:14:50 am by Blackray Jack »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Skill rust
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:40:02 am »

--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:51:56 am »

That one's actually for attributes only, not sure why it mentions skills...

Skill rates are a little further up the page, but for mining at least the hardcoded cap is 500. The defaults are given as well, with lower numbers meaning a faster countdown to rust and demotion.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 01:57:21 am »

That one's actually for attributes only, not sure why it mentions skills...

Skill rates are a little further up the page, but for mining at least the hardcoded cap is 500. The defaults are given as well, with lower numbers meaning a faster countdown to rust and demotion.

Whee -.-; Teach me to link something I haven't looked at in a while :/ Thanks for pointing him closer to the right place -.-;;;
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:44 am »

Add [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE] to the species you want to have no skill rust.

The format is [SKILL_RATES:a:b:c:d]
"a" is the amount of experience required to advance to the next level. I think 100 is the default.
"b" is not used
"c" is the rust counter (higher is slower, can be set to NONE).
"d" is the demotion counter (higher is slower, can be set to NONE).

EDIT: Does [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE] has an effect on the skills of migrants and NFCs (Non-Fortress-Characters) in-game?

EDIT2: [ATT_RATES:500:NONE:NONE:NONE] works the same way and also cuts rust. 500 is the default amount of experience (according to the wiki), and if the rust and demotion rates are not changed attributes will rust faster than they are gained to a ridiculous extent beyond extreme military training.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:12:07 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:36:11 am »

So do I just add [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE] in the dwarf section to effectively eliminate skill rust or do I need to alter a line of code in the dwarven section to [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE]?

To clarify, I don't want to have my dwarves to be some kind of superpowered eugenic freaks of nature, I just want skill rust gone or slowed to the greatest degree possible without tampering with any other aspect such as stat gain rates and I appreciate everyone's help so far!

Also, in my new world, I have a group of evil mountains called 'The Spurting Tower' and one called 'The Barb Of Pus'. Take that as you will.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »

If you are not using any mods, just add [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE] to the dwarves entry and it will remove skill rust. Same with [ATT_RATES:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]

You do NOT need to regen a world for this to take effect; if you already have the world generated open up the save folder and add the line in the appropriate part of the raws.

If you are using a mod with a race that has a custom [SKILL_RATES:a:b:c:d] and [ATT_RATES:a:b:c:d] tokens, you need to find that and change b, c, d to numbers of your liking or to NONE to eliminate rust altogether. Dwarves will learn skills at the same rate as before.

Also be aware that there is a default cap on how far attributes can be modified from their starting values, which can also be changed.

EDIT: You may have to specify [MENT_ATT_RATES:a:b:c:d] and [PHYS_ATT_RATES:a:b:c:d] separately. Can someone confirm this?

[MENT_ATT_CAP:attribute token or ALL:%] and [PHYS_ATT_CAP:attribute token or ALL:%] control the level the starting stats can be buffed to with experience. Default is 200% of starting according to the wiki.

EDIT2: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Creature_token has a list of some of the tokens you can add or remove from creatures.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:53:38 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.