Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: She left me to die  (Read 1133 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
She left me to die
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:04:38 pm »

So here I am, a Drow.

Asithi Ferrena.  Swordsdrow.  Nevermind my heritage as an albino.  The others never understood, called me names.  They called me "Elf".  More than a few suffered my wrath at that abominable name.  To call me that is to see your teeth on the ground, I can assure you.

Even my surname is a joke. "Shadedeeps" is what they told me it means.  "Ghost one" is what they mean when they say it.  I can see it in their eyes.  Instead of taking it as an insult, it is instead, my pride.  Never do my enemies see me comming.  And neither did my people see me leave the caverns.  I had enough of their sniveling - their jeering - their staring.  I would make a name for myself.

Off I set, to the wilds of the caverns.  I happened upon a chute leading upward, and followed the smell of fresh air upwards into the light.  Only a scant few yards away, I found a road.  Leading to a human town.

Surely, this is my chance! A chance to make it.  Why, with my skin, they won't even suspect my Droven herritage.  None of the ridicule.  None of the taunting.  Finally, I will be a hero to someone.

I inquired about work, and was told of a particularly dastardly individual: Athene Quickwaters.  She was a bandit who had been giving these good folk a bit of trouble, and an elf, to boot! Not one of those High Elves, but a Sylvan.  Forest rats.  The very kind that drove my ancestors away oh so long ago.  I was going to enjoy this

------

I set out in the morning.  My blade glistened with oils, sharp and ready for the kill.  I arrived in her camp around nightfall.  Stopping to drop my goods, I crouched low and approached silently.  Never since childhood had anyone been able to see me comming.

Well this time, I never saw her comming.

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by Athene and her cronies.  Oh, they didn't know what kind of Drow they were messing with, I tell you.  A couple of her lackeys were Naga.  This is why we Drow have no love for the Sylvans, even after these long millenia of separation.  They mix too easilly with the other races.  No matter.  Four arms just means double the targets for my blade to bite into.

Long we fought into the night, until finally it was just me.... and Athene.

"You have done well, but now... you should prepare to die, youngling.", she said with a wry smile on her dirt smeared face.

"You know nothing of me or who I am!" I bellowed. "It is YOU who will die this night!"

"You know, once I might have believed you.  You certainly seem to believe it yourself.  But you Drow - yes I know what you are, dear - have been underground too long.  The Dwarves have made some surprising advances recently." she said.

And pulled out a large cylinder, black and ruthless looking.  A picture of a dragon was engraved on it's length.  The dragon was laughing.  A village was burning.  It menaced with a smell of saltpeter and sulfur.

"Say goodnight, sweet drow"

There was a great explosion.  Pain seared through my entire lower half.  My sword, constant companion and my only defense, fell to the ground... and soon I followed it, sinking into a black abyss that knew no bounds.  A restless, dreamless sleep enveloped me.

--------

When I awoke, she was gone.  I got up to find my things scattered about the glade.  Dead body parts were everywhere, and I remembered the night before.  I tried to stand up and pain wracked my body.  I passed back out, I know not for how long.

When I awoke for the second time, I knew she had left me for dead.  That bitch.  And that weapon.  I must have it.  I must find her and take it from her... I will make her suffer the indignities that she heaped upon me

But I will not be so merciful.

I have taken a new name, now.

Asithifama Nula
The Terrorcovered of Burials.

The next grave I see, I swear will be hers.

------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: She left me to die
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:18 pm »

Thunderbluss? Drow? What mod are you using? I know it has something to do with Genesis on account of the sylvan and naga mentions, but what about those things?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:31:00 am »

What mod am I not using, seriously.  Genesis as a base, plus Rhenayas Drow and Thunderbluss.  These are the ones that made an appearance.  I savescummed and checked out legends.  Turns out that all the Dwarves are dead in this world.  They were killed by the elves, and apparently at least one of them made off with a gun before it all went down.

The craziest part is that after nearly destroying me, Athene just let me go.  Maybe she died from blood loss before she should do me in completely.  I don't know.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:41:40 am »

Pretty epic!
So, she actually took stuff from your backpack? :o Wow, that's unusual, haven't seen that happen before.
I haven't even seen an NPC pick anything up! Cool!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:54:46 am »

Well I left the backpack just off screen.  While passed out for a few days, things moved very fast and I saw someone milling about.  Couldn't pause it in time to see who it was tho.  When I scrolled back to my things, anything of good quality was gone.  All that was left was the two-handed sword I was lying on top of, and some food.  The rest was thrown around.

So that part could be the game doing it's normal scattering.

Buy my enemy deffinitely picked up an artifact weapon from some dwarves she killed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:51:57 am »

Did you manage to damage her eyes? if she backed away from her injuries and was blind she wouldn't be able to find you again, thus 'leaving you for dead'. Though she really could have bled out.
Also, bandits will take some of the valuables from their kills and stash them in their camp (although they don't actually pick them up and carry them there, apparently). Maybe the game permits this even if the victim is still alive? They always take the best stuff and leave the rest, though, which fits the case.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.