Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick BP Question  (Read 573 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Quick BP Question
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:11:52 am »

Ok, when it comes to layers, body parts are made up of what is sent through by a creature. Like where it says dwarves send in bone, cartlidge, skin, fat and muscle etc...

How would I create a body part made up of customised layers of materials? Any help? So like, when you attack and it tears through skin, then fat, then muscle etc. I could have a complicated organ made up of an outside tissue, middle tissue etc. depending on how deep the weapon penetration was?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick BP Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:25:40 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Modding_guide#Creature_materials_and_tissues

In short: You see BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:(tissues)? Swap the tissues there for the new ones (after declaring what the new tissues actually are). The order matters as it's what defines which tissues are above others and the thicknesses they get.

If you're planning on doing this with an entirely new bodypart, you need to either define new layers manually, which risks messing up the layering unless you're careful, or make new detail plans/lines in an existing detail plan for that part.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:34:23 am »

Ok, another question, how does the whole AROUND business work?

For exp.

[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:LIP:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:TEETH:100]

I understand that's that the lip is around the teeth. But how does that work? And what's the 100? 100%? Does that mean I'll always hit that if I hit the teeth?

Then,
   [BP_POSITION:BY_TOKEN:R_EAR:RIGHT]
   [BP_POSITION:BY_TOKEN:L_EAR:LEFT]
But, surely the ears are marked as Left and Right in the body_default? I'm confused.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:50:04 am »

I understand that's that the lip is around the teeth. But how does that work? And what's the 100? 100%? Does that mean I'll always hit that if I hit the teeth?

Theoretically. Obviously the system has some serious limitations (attacks knocking teeth out from behind and such), and the vanilla creatures aren't defined very well, but that's the way it should work. The lip is SMALL and EMBEDDED so different rules might apply for it - I've heard of people creating full-body shells and such via use of AROUND, so it's definitely possible.

[BP_POSITION:BY_TOKEN:R_EAR:RIGHT]
   [BP_POSITION:BY_TOKEN:L_EAR:LEFT]
But, surely the ears are marked as Left and Right in the body_default? I'm confused.

There might be some subtleties in how BP_POSITION affects things.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:58:49 am »

Cool. It seems the eyelid covers the eye, but you can attack an eye straight off, sooo... hmm. I dunno. Oh well, I'll experiment. I was just wondering if it'd be possible to give a creature various layers of materials you have to hack in to, with the outside ones being mostly inert, as it were, so you get 'tearing layer1, tearing layer2, tearing layer3... etc. etc. finally breaking the bone' or whatever. But I'm making some creatures out of more interesting materials than just skin, bone etc. Oh, and organs too.

Wait, the organs are defined as HEART:HEART:100. Could you have, like, ORGAN:LAYER1:20:LAYER2:20:LAYER3:20...?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »

Yes, you could. I don't think the thickness values mean anything intrinsically; they're probably just compared to the others which make up that part as relative.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »

I tried that... it went... funny.... ew.

As I test/joke thing I made the lung [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:LUNG:LUNG:100:EYE:100:HEART:100:KIDNEY:100]

Blah blah... "tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left lung's lung tissue through a hole in the heart tissue!"

Er. Wow?

So... how does that work!? o_O