Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion: New areas to make recruiting less grindy.  (Read 1382 times)

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion: New areas to make recruiting less grindy.
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:25:37 pm »

I think we should streamline the recruiting process by making areas which are more likely to spawn certain individuals. For instance, when you want to recruit dancers, yoga instructors, athletes, for a "fighting" squad (melee or shooting or whatever), you should be able to head to the local GYM, where all these types hang out. Similiarly, if we want to recruit programmers, the local IT firm should be good.
Would being able to hire these people at your convenience make the game easier? Undoubtedly. But from a logical standpoint, if you're looking to recruit a certain groupset, you go to the area where they are predominant. From a gaming perspective, pressing "S" until you have an encounter, hit Right if there isn't someone you want, tap "s" lots of times, repeat ad nauseaum... that's just painful and irritating.
Actually, I feel similiarly regarding the kidnapping of high profile individuals. There should be a Judge's Chambers, News Anchors room, all these sort of things where you are guaranteed to find one of these fellas. But other than the CEO, leave the wandering guys in. So, from a logical standpoint, instead of the LCS deciding "we shall launch a mission to kidnap a Radio Personality! ... ok, we'll just wander around the corridors of the local Radio Station until we bump into one" it's more like "ok, first, we kidnap and convert someone who works here... now the janitor gives us a map and the schedule for the place, we go kidnap our target who will be in his dressing room at this time of day" ... well, unless of course "at the end of the corridor turn right and... oh, hang on, I just bumped into RP 2, who is an equally famous Radio Personality, I'll just kidnap him instead" occurs.

Actually, I don't think that putting these in will make the game any easier... it just makes things less Grindy and Monotonous. If someone wants to recruit XXXX or kidnap XXX badly enough, he will get them... eventually. It just involves a lot of time staring at the screen tapping the S key until an encounter occurs, and hoping it's the correct encounter.

GodlikeSoldier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: New areas to make recruiting less grindy.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »

I agree having more areas with more concentration of people would make life a lot easier and less annoying. I find myself walking back and forth forever trying to find something stupid like a fashion designer etc.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »

Agreed. I want to be able to find Black Belts without spending 3+ hours looking for them at the park.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24:28 am »

Judges, Radio Personalities, and the like occur frequently enough for me. If I want to kidnap a News Anchor, it usually only takes a little bit of looking to do so; you're certain to find one before long at the News Station. That said, it would be really nice to have that gym, if nothing else. Or possibly the ability to meet/recruit people from University classes?

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:44:20 am »

Yes. At the same time, certain high-profile or otherwise rare encounters should have a limit of how often they can occur during a month.
You should only be able to find so many liberal army veterans in an otherwise conservative society and if you can't convince the ones you find, you can't just walk around the park until you find more. Same for high-profile enemies. I don't like there being only one CEO ever, but there could be a limited number of anchors, eminent scientists and judges with the amount replenishing slowly if you kill or abduct them.

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:12:52 pm »

This is an awesome idea.  What I like about it is that it gives another sense of progress in the game. 

I would say you could take the idea a step farther as well.  Make certain locations that are accessible only after interrogation.  So you could kidnap someone from the gym to find out where the dojo location is.  There you would have a very high chance to meet a black belt.
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 06:24:16 pm »

How about The Mall?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:59:24 pm »

How about The Mall?
I can find mall-goths to kill!

YAY!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!