Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GCS Question ASAP  (Read 1193 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS Question ASAP
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:52:45 am »

Err...not that it's teribly important, but how can I make my GCS shoot silk through fortifications? Say, at a forgotten beast due any minute that willl be heading into a gauntlet of cage traps because I didn't expeect a FB at only 40 dwarves and have no countermeasures ready beyond that? And said beast tends to be of the immortal variety whenever I retry? (NOT loosing THIS fort so soon!)
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: GCS Question ASAP
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:53:49 am »

Er... block the way in off, hope the FB causes the GSC to fire webs at it?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »

You basically need to make it see a path to an enemy it can see through the fortifications. Since it's building destroyer level 1, it will see a path through a stone floodgate, but not be able to use it, and thus will spurt webbing all over.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:01 pm »

You basically need to make it see a path to an enemy it can see through the fortifications. Since it's building destroyer level 1, it will see a path through a stone floodgate, but not be able to use it, and thus will spurt webbing all over.

Locked doors won't work?
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »

A lever-controlled door that opens a cage-trapped corridor connecting the GCS to its target will also work. It will fire the webs through the fortifications, then dash into the corridor and get cage-trapped. Then you put it back in the little fortified room, link the cage to a lever, evacuate the area, and release it again.
Never pet a burning dog.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:53:39 pm »

I believe the most common way is a hallway with a pressure plate and a door on either end.  With fortifications carved into one wall.

The plates are linked in such a way that stepping on one closes the closest door and opens the farthest door.  So the GCS runs towards the open door to get to it's target, shooting webs the whole time.  It steps on a plate which closes the door in front of it, but opens the far door.  It then runs back the other way and hits the second plate, repeating the entire procedure.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:25 pm »

Well, don't have the time to set up something so special.my only hope is to put it in the hall and pray. And the situation just got even more fun. Now, I find that there is a goblin ambush apearing at the SAME TIME. In my second year. Without a standing military...well, I one dwarf is a proficient axedwarf surrounded by good meatshields recruits, so maybe I can deal with THAT. Dammit, I don't even have an anvil to make new armor with!

Update: The GCS successfully caged a mutant shrimp in single webbat. Well, web vs fire at any rate. It can't have a syndrome if it has fire, right?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:12:50 pm by Byakugan01 »