Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human-Elephant Conflict Continues  (Read 914 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Human-Elephant Conflict Continues
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:03:00 am »

let me fix that:
NEW Mountain Home, Etlekhop -- An elephant in eastern Etlekhop has sparked complaints from caravans who accuse it of blocking traffic and refusing to allow wagons to pass unless drivers give it dwarfs to eat, a newspaper reported on Monday.

The Dwarfestan Times said the elephant was scouting for dwarfs to eat on a road in the eastern state of Oratkep, forcing traders to roll down their windows and get out of the wagon.

"The tusker then inserts its trunk inside the wagon and sniffs for dwarfs," local resident Rokha Longpants, who has come across the elephant twice, was quoted as saying.

"If you are carrying dwarfs inside your wagon, then it will gulp them and allow you to go."

If a commuter does not wind down his window or resists opening the wagon door, the elephant stands in front of the wagon until the driver allows him to carry out his routine inspection.

Forestry officials told the newspaper that the elephant is old and is therefore looking for easy food.

"So far, it has not harmed anybody," said Sekhro Easyleg, a forest elf working in the state.

"We are telling commuters regularly not to tease the elephant. But if people don't heed to our advice and harass the tusker, then it can retaliate."

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:22:00 am »

LOL very good

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

Yeah, I've never had as many problems with elephants as everyone else has: they're certainly not dwarf killers.  An attrition rate of one dwarf per year isn't really that significant to me, either; I get at least twenty in each wave of immigrants. =P

This post does make me wonder again about random animal encounters for migrant groups; i.e., automatically, every time a migrant group moves on the world map, there'd be a small chance (proportional to their "juiciness" as a target and inversely proportional to their apparent military strength and their covertness) they'd be accosted in abstract form by animals and possibly lose a member or two or at least suffer injuries.

The other possibility is migrant bandit groups who deliberately try to intercept caravans and such, requiring an active military presence from civilisations in order to maintain safe passage.  And, if you're a wandering marauder in a civilisation in Adventure Mode, you certainly don't want to get caught by a 20-man patrol of well-trained, -armed and -armoured soldiers...

The idea would eventually be that you can clear areas of (hostile) animals or dangerous animals by issuing instructions to your patrolling armies; there would then be absolutely no need to correct the behaviour of blaming you for the loss of caravans or representatives, because if they cross over into your border, your negligence in safety becomes a big point of dispute with other nations.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

Very funny, but they have it easy. That's a relatively calm part of India; if you go to one of the more sinister areas, you'll find that commuters are utterly devastated by skeletal elephants that stand on their cars until they're dead!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:35:00 am »

And just like in DF, leopards aren't a big deal -> cnn link <-

[ May 29, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

KFTrendy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>And just like in DF, leopards aren't a big deal -> cnn link <-

[ May 29, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]</STRONG>

His daughter was in their bed because she had been frightened by a mosquito.  A mosquito.  How could a man who can wrestle a leopard right after waking up have such a pansy child?

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by KFTrendy:
. . . . frightened by a mosquito . . . .

Hey, the bugs down there are big.   ;)

[ May 29, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie Fox ]

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 01:00:00 am »

thank god a marksdwarf isnt around there

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by KFTrendy:
<STRONG>

His daughter was in their bed because she had been frightened by a mosquito.  A mosquito.  How could a man who can wrestle a leopard right after waking up have such a pansy child?</STRONG>

She was accosted by vermin, even the toughest dwarves hate that.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 04:06:00 am »

Sounds like the leopard was having a fey mood, and just wanted a good warm bed and a little snuggle.  The wrestiling match likely quilified for the snuggle and since the bed was warm it was all good.  Artifact happy thoughts were being built and that construction completely occupied the leopard's mind.  Hence the man's seemedly superior abilities.

Also almost all animals are not wrestlers.  So as long as you have at least a decent idea of what their joints can do, and a willingness to take a few wounds to get position you can nearly always win at wrestling with an animal up to about 300lbs.  The hard part is getting them to wrestle instead of killing you in the first strike.  I haven't tried that theory much beyond large dogs though.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

According to the article, the leopard was old and weak from starvation, which is why it came into the city in the first place -- seeking easier prey like housecats and pet dogs.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin