Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (HELP NOW) First FB  (Read 1441 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (HELP NOW) First FB
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 08:59:04 pm »

My impression is that normal dwarfbaths are good for everyday cleaning, but for something like forgotten beast extract you want to make sure it's off of everybody, dwarf and animal alike, all at the same time and reliably, so that they won't re-introduce it to the ground after you clean. And it seems simple enough to make that happen: Make a dwarfbath at the entrance to a room. Make sure that that's the only useable entrance to that room. Make a burrow that only covers that room, and turn on a military alert to restrict all civilians to the burrow. Use a move order to get your military in there at the same time. All animals should go to the burrow on their own, but your pastures may need to be deactivated first.

If you're planning on using DFcleanmap, do this first and run cleanmap while they're in the room. If you're going to use traditional methods (building floors over the affected squares), do this at the end, and possibly a few times while you're 'cleaning'.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:03 pm »

Oh shit... Goblin snatchers... I lost one of my best men shit, I really need to make A LOT more armor NOW I'm so unprepared for this. SHIT more of them as I make this post. Update later, they are too damn fast. Do I have to assign ammo to my military?

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

You do have to assign them ammo, yes. I find that it only works after unassigning hunters ammo, but there may be a workaround.
Easiest way to negate thieves and snatchers - in my experience - is three to five cage traps behind your primary traps. Anything with trap avoid will be snatched up, but you won't have to deal with reloading cage traps every time an ambush comes knocking.

Oh, and losing is fun!

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 09:27:21 pm »

I haven't set up traps, I was not anticipating this.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 10:33:39 pm »

I have a dwarf bath that anyone coming out of the caverns will have to go through to get to the fortress proper. Also have a permanent rain outside (turned weather off when it was raining) cleaning everyone of annoying goblin blood (as well as megabeast extracts and blood) so it doesn't get tracked inside.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 10:42:55 pm »

You're going to want to get on the traps. Past experience has showed me that once you get snatchers, the ambushes aren't far behind.  And one of those CAN wipe out an unprepared fort.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:51 pm »

I haven't set up traps, I was not anticipating this.

You do have to assign them ammo, yes. I find that it only works after unassigning hunters ammo, but there may be a workaround.
Easiest way to negate thieves and snatchers - in my experience - is three to five cage traps behind your primary traps. Anything with trap avoid will be snatched up, but you won't have to deal with reloading cage traps every time an ambush comes knocking.

Oh, and losing is
fun!

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 11:24:04 pm »

You're a noob, but had a military equipped entirely with adamantine weapons? wat
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56:34 am »

You're a noob, but had a military equipped entirely with adamantine weapons? wat

I got lucky, I found the a spire when I discovered a magma sea and there was no lava above where the spire started. So I made it into Battleaxes and Short Swords, and right now I'm making Cage traps and Armour. (Not adamantine cage traps)
Pages: 1 [2]