Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is everyone trying to kill me?  (Read 1034 times)

Mr. Albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is everyone trying to kill me?
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:32 pm »

I was recently doing some testing in adventure mode to try and figure out what is causing a bug that makes df crash whenever I enter a shop (or sometimes a town) as a custom creature that I created. So far I have only seen the crash when I enter a shop owned by my custom creature, so I decided to see if it would crash if I entered a human shop.

The thing is, whenever I enter a human settlement, everyone who sees me tries to kill me!  I also do not have the option of retiring (says "Give in to starvation" instead) or travelling (says I need to exit the site).

I've checked in the embark screen whether the entities are at war and they are not (they are not even hostile).

The weird thing is that if I switch the creature token in the entity raws (i.e. edit [ENTITY:PLAINS] to use [CREATURE:JACKALMAN] (the creature I am using) and [ENTITY:SAVANNA] (my creature's entity) to have [CREATURE:HUMAN], regen the world and start off as a "human" (in the savanna entity), the behavior seems to switch and people in settlements belonging to my own civ now try to kill me! (except for the hamlet I start off in, for some reason) The humans also still try to kill me too.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is everyone trying to kill me?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »

There are various things that might be causing this. It might be something wrong with the creature (lack of CAN_SPEAK or INTELLIGENT or perhaps a couple of other things) or something wrong with the entity (ITEM_THIEF or BABYSNATCHER or ethics or perhaps other things), or both.

The most efficient solution would be to just post the new entries.

Mr. Albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:18 am »

Hmm, I was thinking about it and have a few ideas what it could be, need to do some more testing.

Also, this thread should probably be moved to DF Modding, my apologies.

Mr. Albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:04:21 am »

I have discovered the source of the problem! It was the [LOCAL_BANDITRY] entity token. Apparently it makes everyone outside your home town want to kill you.

Entering shops still makes the game crash though, so I still need to figure that out. At least I know what [LOCAL_BANDITRY] does.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:44:59 am »

Hey, this is useful.
Everybody!