Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removal of constructed floor tiles results in falling dw  (Read 566 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Removal of constructed floor tiles results in falling dw
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

I had a setup where I was building a floor over the magma vent so I might be able to seal off the magma creatures in there. Still no idea how to keep the magma baddies out, so I went to wall up the ledge leading out, but apparently you can't build a wall on a floor you've built, so I queued up a section of floor for removal and a dwarf got to work.

First I noticed the dwarf working ON TOP of the floor tile. I figured it was just an oddity... But then the tile was gone. And so was the dwarf. He fell into the magma and died because he was standing on the floor tile he just removed.

Funny, huh? I figure removing floor tiles shouldn't work like that. :P

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removal of constructed floor tiles results in falling dw
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

I was going to say that this is very much a known bug, but I can't seem to find it with a search on the bugs list or this forum. Huh!

It's documented on the wiki, though. I came up with and have been promoting (chiefly on IRC, and on the wiki) a three step process for safely removing floors:

1. Build a floodgate on the floor
2. Once the floodgate is there, designate the tile with 'remove construction' as normal. You won't be able to see the designation, but it's there. The dwarves will come along and do it anyhow.
3. Once you can see a rock (or whatever you built the floor with) blinking on the same tile as the floodgate, order the floodgate removed. (The rock and floodgate seem to magically hold each other up, which is probably a bit of a bug.)

The dwarves will sit the floodgate down on a nearby tile, and the rock will fall through the newly created open space.

Statues might or might not work in place of floodgates. An alternative is building bridges on the z level below the floor, but then you have to manage to safely remove the bridge too.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

I know. It's odd. I looked on the bugs list and in the forum too, and it was nowhere. Just wanted to make sure people knew about it. :x
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Zoston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

Yes, this is -highly- annoying. >.< Dwarves will happily stand a top it while they remove a floor above a five tile deep stairway, and then plummet to their squashy messy deaths.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

Forbidden floor hatches also work if you don't want to use floodgates.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>I was going to say that this is very much a known bug, but I can't seem to find it with a search on the bugs list or this forum. Huh!

It's documented on the wiki, though. I came up with and have been promoting (chiefly on IRC, and on the wiki) a three step process for safely removing floors:

1. Build a floodgate on the floor
2. Once the floodgate is there, designate the tile with 'remove construction' as normal. You won't be able to see the designation, but it's there. The dwarves will come along and do it anyhow.
3. Once you can see a rock (or whatever you built the floor with) blinking on the same tile as the floodgate, order the floodgate removed. (The rock and floodgate seem to magically hold each other up, which is probably a bit of a bug.)

The dwarves will sit the floodgate down on a nearby tile, and the rock will fall through the newly created open space.

Statues might or might not work in place of floodgates. An alternative is building bridges on the z level below the floor, but then you have to manage to safely remove the bridge too.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]</STRONG>

Statues work fine.

[ November 23, 2007: Message edited by: Tahin ]

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zombie:
<STRONG>Still no idea how to keep the magma baddies out...</STRONG>

A layer of obsidian?

I have to try it out myself on the fort I'm doing right now, but if you have water you can pump or channel...

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>I was going to say that this is very much a known bug, but I can't seem to find it with a search on the bugs list or this forum. Huh!</STRONG>
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001847
Someone put it in the Suggestions forum, as a suggestion to be fixed I guess.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.