Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clean trap squares and drinking water related questions.  (Read 870 times)

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clean trap squares and drinking water related questions.
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »

Hey all, I'd appreciate any help with this topic you can give as I am still struggling finding answers. My main question still remains unresolved and may end up with me abandoning again, certainly when I hit the FB's, and my rear traps are effected.

How do I get my cleaners to clean squares with traps on? Is the only way to simply remove the traps and throw water on the square?

My entrance hall is the standard novice player setup, long and full of traps to weaken any attackers. However I've some blood that everyone refuses to clean up and they would rather just idle doing nothing, even if given no other jobs but cleaning. I made sure to pave the floor and put a roof over any tiles that were outside but still nobody will clean up.

I was debating putting a bath at the entrance and exit to the hall but I've heard many mixed reports about baths that can accumulate harmful things (weaponized moats etc) and I still haven't worked out how to specify what is and what isn't drinking water, making it even more risky. So for now I've avoided it.

That brings me to a few side questions, if you have the time 

1, Are 3/7 Baths ever harmful under any circumstances in a non modded game, is there any substance which can make them dangerous, when either inside or outside?
2, How do I set what is and isn't drinking water?
3, If I make a moat outside and stop filling it at 3/7 will the rain fill it up to 7/7?
4, Should I just leave all this blood around and forget about trying to clean it, are there any ill effects to basic blood?
5, Will an outside moat ever freeze in a warm biome? I ask this as I may just make outside baths and let them fill to 7/7 and train everyone to swim if its the only safe water option.

Thanks for any help!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Clean trap squares and drinking water related questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:29:49 pm »

1. Yes, if a megabeast syndrome gets in there.
2. Using o commands, set Zone Drinking Only then set a drinking zone/build a well.
3. No.
4. Yes, no.
5. Did a river/anything freeze in winter?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »

If you want to clean up some specific squares really quickly, make them a meeting zone. Dwarves will rush in and scrub the place clean.

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:49:49 pm »

Thank you very much, both of you :). The drinking water was extremely good info cheers.

The rivers have never frozen yet, but then I was never sure with weather on some maps I've had so much snow it was nuts, and on this map for instance I've had either massive rainfall or non at all. So far though no snow or freezing here on the river.

In fact the only ill effect i've seen with blood being everywhere so far is people using all the soap XD, but that gives them new happy thoughts to balance it out hehe. I guess I'll just need more above ground animals pastured to make more soap.

As for the water, I'll avoid the baths then, thanks for the advice. I've been messing with grates and such like to try and make a makeshift sewerage system, to remove filth from around wells but it is certainly a challenge for the mid/late game I think.

I personally really wish there was a cleaner job, which people could train up in. On meeting zones I've heard that it helps cleaning, which I imagine is great for blood but I have specific cleaners that have high sickness resistance, I want them handling the nastier substances. I often try to make my doctors high resistance too if possible to limit infections.

Thanks again for the help. Outside baths that don't overflow sound like the way to go, if rain cleans them and keeps them at 3/7 they are a good idea I think.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:54:24 pm by Taren »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:44:34 pm »

Just as a note, an infection doesn't travel between dwarves. The resistance will simply effect syndromes.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »

Baths are great - just put a retracting bridge over them so you can quickly get the dwarves over the top if something nasty gets in the water.