Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STOP IT ALREADY  (Read 526 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
STOP IT ALREADY
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »

I found a really great embark point... now if I could only play it. I've been sitting here for ten minutes unpausing due to some constant cave-ins. I think I remember reading this is caused by stone falling into a magma pipe. The question is: when does it end??

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: STOP IT ALREADY
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:05:40 pm »

Probably infinite obsidian forming and falling. So never.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »

It's likely that you've got a place where water can fall into the magma sea, thus forming obsidian and instantly collapsing. It can't seal itself because the falling obsidian is lost to the magma sea, thus this is endless.

There is, however, a recourse. Using dfhack's reveal function, find the offending position, and then, using the liquids function, block off the problems with obsidian. Done properly, this should stop the endless collapses, and you can then unreveal the map and play as normal.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 05:13:49 pm »

Find this line in ~data/init/announcments.txt:

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]

Delete the : P:R from the end of the line, this removes 'P'ause and 'R'ecenter.  You will still get message spam, but it will not pause and recenter on every cave-in.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 05:19:50 pm »

Find this line in ~data/init/announcments.txt:

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]

Delete the : P:R from the end of the line, this removes 'P'ause and 'R'ecenter.  You will still get message spam, but it will not pause and recenter on every cave-in.

JMZ
Thanks, I will do this.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

Just keep in mind that this stops the message from stopping you and your dwarves from doing stupid things like standing in a collapsing cavern without you noticing and pausing the game to make em skedaddle. :P
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »

Actually the dfliquids solution is the best one, cause it will stop the spam and up your FPS.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »

I had an issue where both the magma sea AND a level -3 cavern lake were pouring into HFS (they were only a layer apart) causing a large quantity of cavern collapses (but not constant, which made it even more annoying whilst I wasn't sure what was going on...).
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk