Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military tutorial for the latest version?  (Read 1083 times)

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military tutorial for the latest version?
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »

Does such a thing exist?  I know I have to get this military thing squared away, and I'm normally ok at hacking away, poking around in menus and stuff, but this shit is making me crazy.  Equipment, uniforms, positions, alerts, schedules, burrows.  It's making my fucking head spin and I hate to have to choose between pulling out my last two hairs and having every one of my forts die in the first three years or so to sieges.  HELP!
Randy...

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military tutorial for the latest version?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »

I am still not up to snuff on it, there's no real tutorial.  Here's the basic structure I've figured out:

Step 1>  Assign a militia commander.  The common wisdom seems to be someone who is NOT going to fight.  I don't know why this is.  The militia commander will be in the first squad.

Step 2>  Create a Uniform.  See the wiki about Armor.

Step 3>  Create a squad.  Assign the uniform you just created to that squad.

Step 4>  Assign dwarves to that squad.

Step 5>  Realize that your uniform didn't get assigned properly, and re-assign it.

Step 6>  Realize that you don't have all the pieces of the armor to assign to the dwarves, then you'll have to make the armor pieces, then re-assign the armor. 

Step 7>  Hope.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:50:31 pm »

Military is much easier now than in 40d, in my opinion. You can either have a simple guard force or a self serving patrolling platoon of soldiers.

Easiest method:

1. Create a uniform (simplest is sword/axe, mail shirt, greaves, helm, gauntlets, high boot, shield)
2. Create a squad, choosing your uniform
3. Exit the military screen
4. Press S, choose the letter A for the first squad, press T to set them to active
5. Move them somewhere, they will all realize they don't have equipment, run off and grab it
6. Once they are all back, press O to cancel the move order
7. Exit the squad menu
8. Hover over whatever you have designated as a barracks, press T to assign the squad to train there

The squad will then go to the place to train, and can be used very easily by pressing S to go to the squad screen, and choosing to issue a move or kill order. Once they're done, press O on the squad screen to cancel the order and they will all fuck off back to the barracks again.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:53:49 pm »

The tutorial I'd offer is this:

1. create squad through m or n menus by assigning a militia commander/creating your first squad.

2. place an armor stand or a weapon rack where you want your troops training. Set the correct squad to train at the armor stand by making it their training barracks (q--scroll down to right squad--t).

3.  the hard part:
A. create a burrow for civilian safety, remember that burrows can be selected across z-levels. When danger comes hit m-a and select the safe burrow on the far right column--the green "civ" tag should appear near the burrow name. this will make civilians stay in the burrow during battle. deselect after battle

B. Set you military schedule-- hit m-s and look at your squad.  The default order for active/training is train 10/10.  Set this to 7/10 (or about a 70% ratio of however big your militia is--this ensures they rotate to eat and sleep, but train always).  You can also order them to station somewhere, defend the burrow and patrol a set of points previously designated through N(otes).

Uniforms--don't bother too much, standard uniform for metal works fine, only exceptions might be adding extra shields, extra cloaks, for the obsessive, exploiting the laying mechanic to create super packed uniforms (and dwarves that resemble medieval riot police).  If you want to assign an artifact weapon, (or just a particular weapon) to a dwarf hit W, find the dwarf find the weapon etc.

Otherwise schedules and burrows are the only things that one really needs for effective training/keeping civilians inside and military out.

When you attack don't use the k(ill) order, use the m(ove) order instead--its better for positioning and lets dwarves choose their own targets instead of chasing someone they might have already killed.

When you get melee down, try archers, they are waaay more challenging to manage, but well worth it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »

Did you try the wiki? There's no real tutorial but the "reference" documentation is reasonably good.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:46:35 pm »

Did you try the wiki? There's no real tutorial but the "reference" documentation is reasonably good.

I'm struggling through it now.  It's OK, except for being a bit redundant, fragmented, circular, and unclear. ;-)  But yeah, I'm using it now.  In fairness, the real culprit here isn't the docs (which have a Herculean task to accomplish), it's the bizarre interface of the military screen (and, well, the rest of the game).  I'll get there eventually.  I have bigger problems right now...the game's locked up on me and I'll start another thread to see if I can find a solution.
Randy...