Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What quality is best for training?  (Read 757 times)

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What quality is best for training?
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:41 pm »

In 40d I'd use unskilled dwarves to make silver weapons.  This provided weapons for training (lowest quality meant the lowest chance of serious injury) while giving several dwarves dabbling skill in weaponsmith.

I pretty sure this holds true for the wooden training weapons in 0.31.*, since that's programmatically simple, but it isn't really logical.  I mean, logically, a high-quality training weapon should be better at not injuring the target than a base quality training weapon, since not injuring the target is it's purpose.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that DF follows the programmatic logic and not people logic.   ;)
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: What quality is best for training?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »

Sparring injuries in version 0.31.xx seem to be so rare as to be almost nonexistent - give them proper combat weapons, but also make sure they're wearing decent armor.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:43:41 pm »

Yep as the above poster stated training weapons have no point in the current game except for dodge this traps and danger rooms.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »

Yep as the above poster stated training weapons have no point in the current game except for dodge this traps and danger rooms.

Or, if you're really against danger rooms, you can arm your dwarves with them then turn them loose on prisoners in the arena. Lots more experience than if you use steel.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:10:49 pm »

I've never actually seen a sparring injury happen in 31.XX.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:17:08 pm »

Or, if you're really against danger rooms, you can arm your dwarves with them then turn them loose on prisoners in the arena. Lots more experience than if you use steel.

Oh, I'd also like to point out that if you play adventure mode at all and don't like to cheat in mini-danger rooms, cutting off an enemies' foot then switching to a wooden weapon and whaling on him gets you experience fast.