Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military concern  (Read 506 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Military concern
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:02:13 am »

Where shall I start?

-Recruit switching profession each 2 minutes even when in full time duty
-Recruit not training in group (preferring individual combat drill (which mean they have nothing to do))
-Military unit wandering around doing nothing
-Marksdwarf not training at archery target, not picking up equipment (weapon, bolt), stay bugged in 'soldier (cannot follow order)' mode

And I'm sure thats only half of what I encountered... Mainly, these are not my mistake (I think) because I used to make it work before properly and I understand most of the military screen. Not all of it seem broken... But lots of it do T_T. military barely gaining level aside from real battle (training have been more than useless for me).

BTW : I'm not using danger room exploit

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Military concern
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:14:43 am »

When you make a barack dormitory, what are the Indiv Eq, Squad Eq and Position option doing?

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:23 am »

Well, the military system is complex, but it is not broken.  It is definitely, at times, disagreeable.

What are your training schedules, and minimum training numbers?  How many dwarves do you have in your squads?  What do you mean by "switching profession?"  Are other dwarves, in the same squad as the one wandering around, actually training?  How are your marksdwarf uniforms set up?  Do your marksdwarf squads respond to move commands?

Just a few questions to narrow down what might be the problem.  Also, and not to sound patronizing or anything, but have you read the articles on the wiki to see if they helped at all?

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:55:34 am »

Ty for you answer, I read magmawiki more than a couple of time :D It did help me a lot for everything, but military is the trickyest part of that game I think...

5 dwarves in melee squad and 4 in marksman (just started my game). Alert for both squad is set on active/training.

The Marksman dwarves are the problematic one. They change profession for just a second. I can order them to move around, but they just wont train. Usually, marksdarves train a bit on archery target, then go 'soldier'... To get around that I make them train on both weapon rack and target. This time, they started training on the rack and never switched to the targets.

Minimum number of dwarves? I never touched that and it always worked...

I'm sure I dont fully understand alert to... the two one are inactive and active/training. Whats the difference between them? I know that the training one let your dwarves train (obvious), but no burrow are assigned to any and I can't see the difference between the two. As I matter of fact, if I were to make the 'default active/training alert' to not allow dwarves to train I would not know how to do it...

Marksman uniform is set to default archer uniform.

Military not using barack even when squad are assigned to the bed baracks
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:57:07 am by Marble_Nuts »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:06:40 pm »

The military is very easy. I make the barracks be at the entrance to the fortress and also ensure that anyone approaching the entrance needs to follow a somewhat windy path under full view from the barracks.

I then make a uniform with steel armor and crossbows, though inexact matches are fine. They will upgrade to steel if its available, if not they'll grab what they can find and upgrade later. Make sure you have plenty of quivers and piles of bolts in a stockpile right next to the barracks.

Put everyone on training/active at the barracks. You might want to boost bolt count per squad from the default 250 to 500ish, just to ensure ample ammunition.

Done!

Anything approaching will be cut down by a hail of bolts. While somewhat inaccurate at first they will make up for it in quantity. Give your dwarves a breastplate, 3 mail shirts, a helmet and shield and they should be okay. Any migrants who do not have useful skills will fill in the ranks of the marksdwarves. They will continue to train on their own, gradually improving skills and teaching other dwarves skills learned through combat.

Try to maintain around 10,000 rounds of ammunition. If you're running low order up more bolts to be made. Metal bolts are preferred, but wood and bone bolts are acceptable if no metal is available.

Same system also works for melee dwarves, but I prefer massed ranged firepower because most things can't even reach them before being cut down.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:08:13 pm by Hyndis »

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:18:54 pm »

I will put the barack at entrance next time since I just lost 3/4 of my fortress in an ambush...

You seen not to bother to much with training tough... Making them learn on the spot :D

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:43:18 pm »

Although some have reported differently, I've noticed that Marksdwarves will do sort of standard training, as in the stuff that's mostly good for melee, if you set them to a training location/barracks (like a cabinet or a weapon rack or whatever) and schedule them for training.  With only the target assigned to them for training, and with no active order, I've typically seen more consistent archery practice, which increases the more-relevant Marksdwarf skills.  But, like I said, YMMV.  (I may have this wrong, and it might be best to have them scheduled to Train but only have them assigned to a target.  I can't remember... I don't use Marksdwarves that much.)  Having the Hunting skill enabled on your militia archers may cause problems, or it may not.

Alerts refer to two things: civilian burrow restrictions, with can be set on the Alerts screen, and militia schedules ({s} on the main military screen, I think).  Inactive defaults to having no active orders for all months, while Active/Training is "Train" for every month.  When you enter the schedules screen, you can see the Alert that you're looking at by looking at the very top bar, which is easy to miss.  There's a button to change between different Alerts, somewhere on the schedule screen.

And then there's minimums, a setting that is on the individual order screen, after you go in to change one on the schedule.  Having high minimum training numbers, at least for melee-type squads, can cause a slowdown in training rates, as the dwarves in the squad will sometimes seem to prefer doing big demonstrations instead of actually sparring, and will often wait around for a long delay because everyone isn't ready to start yet.  I have squads of 3-4 set to 2 minimum training, and I see adequate amounts of sparring, which seems to increase skills faster than demonstrations.

Still, military training will be slow... it's not you'll get everything right and then you'll have everyone hitting Legendary like they're Miners in soil.  Better equipment, particularly full steel armor and sharp weapons (silver blunt ones), will really help with the survivability of your militia, even if they don't show it in the skills.  Field training on crundles and moose and camels and whatever's wandering around your map can help a bit, as well.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:10:00 pm »

I will put the barack at entrance next time since I just lost 3/4 of my fortress in an ambush...

You seen not to bother to much with training tough... Making them learn on the spot :D

The nice thing about having your barracks be at the entrance is when they are active/training they count as soldiers, even when doing demonstrations or sparring.

This means that if a kobold wanders into the barracks while Urist is sparring, Urist will cancel sparring and stab the kobold. Once the kobold is dead, he'll go back to sparring.