Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird mining, uberdrought, no iron axes.  (Read 400 times)

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Weird mining, uberdrought, no iron axes.
« on: October 31, 2007, 12:33:00 am »

I've looked through many of the new bug reports (I don't envy Toady having to slog through all of these) and couldn't find any that dealt with any of the following bugs I've been experiencing:

Now that dwarves can walk diagonally, they enjoy mining in weird, nonsense patterns.  They'll mine in diagonals through an area I tell them to mine before turning around and tunneling out from the middle.  It's weird and it keeps you from being able to expand into newly-mined areas until virtually all mining tasks are done.

In the warm forest I'm building my fortress in, all the water in the area (except in the river) is flat-out gone by the first summer (my fisherdwarves are probably pissed).  Also, all the grass is dry.  I haven't gotten "It has started raining", either.  Bug or feature?  Also, I don't think the water level anywhere started dropping until I broke through into a pond from below for irrigation purposes.

Finally, in the equipment screen at the beginning, the only type of axe they let you buy is steel, and they're freaking expensive.  Why no more iron axes?

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird mining, uberdrought, no iron axes.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

Lakes dry out, they're supposed to refill when it rains, though I've noticed that muddy tiles never dry out either, so you only ever need to flood once (dig next to a lake, underground, and flood the area with the lake water: instant perma-farm).

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird mining, uberdrought, no iron axes.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>Lakes dry out, they're supposed to refill when it rains, though I've noticed that muddy tiles never dry out either, so you only ever need to flood once (dig next to a lake, underground, and flood the area with the lake water: instant perma-farm).</STRONG>

I've examined this "never dry out" thing and it's an illusion. Tiles DO dry out after a set time. HOWEVER, when dwarves walk through muddy tiles, they track the mud to an adjacent tile. This tile is now "muddy." If the mud from that tile is tracked back to the original tile, that tile becomes newly muddied and its "dry-out timer" is reset.

Since you constantly have farmers running into your muddy fields, deliberately stepping in each square so they can plant, they keep tracking mud everywhere. Every time it starts to dry out, fresh mud is tracked on top of it.

Since my farm feeds into the storage room, which feeds into the kitchens, which feed into the dining hall, I have fresh layers of mud being spread throughout my entire fortress, all of it farmable. Tower-caps are sprouting everywhere.

However, in a few places where there was mud but there's no traffic to spread it, the mud has managed to dry out.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Name Lips ]